Where are the local backups stored in a standalone installation?

System
edited January 2017 in Mac
This discussion was created from comments split from: So confused. Just purchased for $65, now a subscription?.

Comments

• sallycng
    sallycng
    Community Member

@Roman , if I had a stand alone license and my computer hard drive died... Is there a way to get the info from 1password of where it was all stored. I do have a backup of my failed drive.. But I'm not sure where to find the info on the back up.

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017

Hi @sallycng! Thanks for getting in touch. I've split this into a separate discussion as it doesn't really fit the subject of the other discussion. i hope that's okay.

The location for backups in a standalone installation is ∼/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups. That path cannot be changed, so you should find your backups there.

I hope this helps. :)

• sallycng
    sallycng
    Community Member

@Roman Once I've found it.. Then how do I put it back into 1password?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017

Hi @sallycng,

One thing I should mention is that the file path Roman gave you is for the AgileBits Store version of 1Password. If you had been using the Mac App Store version of 1Password, the backup folder will be found here instead:
    ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups

Once you find your 1Password backups, copy the most recent one to your Mac from your backup drive. Next, assuming you haven't set up the 1Password app yet, follow these steps:

• Open the 1Password 6 app.
    • On the 'Welcome' screen, click More Options... > Restore from Backup, then click the Choose Backup... button.
    • Select your .1p4_zip backup file and click the Restore button.
    • Reopen the 1Password app and unlock it with your master password.

You should see all your data now. Please let us know how it goes and if you have any questions about that. Cheers!

• sallycng
    sallycng
    Community Member

@Drew_AG I tried and I couldn't find that back up... BUT I did find a **.opvault" file in my dropbox. I'm guessing that's a back up? But can't figure out how to restore it.

I already added in the vaults I have access to. But the account info linked with the stand alone license is yet to be recovered. I'm guessing it's in that it's in the .opvault file?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sallycng,

I tried and I couldn't find that back up...

Did you try both locations that Roman and I mentioned? If not, please check both, just in case. If you still can't find the 1Password backups, which part of the file path are you unable to find on your backup drive?

BUT I did find a **.opvault" file in my dropbox.

That's good news! The .opvault file in Dropbox is used to sync your data with other devices. It would have a copy of the vault it was syncing with, and should be up to date as long as sync was working before your hard drive died.

It sounds like you've already set up the 1Password app on your new Mac/hard drive with other vaults? If so, are those vaults part of a 1Password.com account, or are the local vaults (i.e. vaults that show up in 1Password > Preferences > Sync)? If you have local vaults in the 1Password app, simply find the .opvault file in the local Dropbox folder and double-click on it. 1Password should offer to create a new vault from that file.

Or if you're using a 1Password.com account and don't have any local vaults in the app, you'll just need to go to 1Pass****word > Preferences > Advanced and enable the option for "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts". Once you've created the Primary vault, go to Preferences > Sync and change the setting from None to Dropbox. Then click the Choose button and select the .opvault file from your Dropbox folder.

Does that help? Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.