Apple license to Mac App Store version?

This discussion was created from comments split from: Mixup of standalone and subscription purchase.

Comments

• smartakus
    smartakus
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

My friend, whom I've been helping with the same problem, paid for a standalone version of 1Password but has what appears to be a subscription version on her laptop. She never received a license email, and we've repeatedly asked for the license to be sent to her email address, but have not received a reply. She purchased it from the App Store.

How can I get the license sent to her (or me, and I can forward to her)?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

App Store purchases do not have a licence, as they are tied to the purchaser's Apple ID.

The program itself is the same for the stand-alone and the subscription approaches. The difference is in the initial setup.

Currently AgileBits do not make the difference clear enough. At the start one has the option to set up an account or to continue without an account. It isn't obvious to a user that accounts only exist in the subscription version, that word is not used for the data in a stand-alone version.

It is not too difficult to move from the subscription to the stand-alone, but the best approach will depend on whether there are just a few current passwords (when it may be easiest to start again from the beginning) or many (when a transfer process may be best).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @smartakus,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! Your question is different than the one in the previous discussion, so I've moved your message to a new thread. I hope you don't mind!

If your friend bought 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store, we wouldn't have information about that in our own system because we don't receive that info from Apple (that explains why she didn't receive an email from us with license information). But she doesn't need any license information for 1Password for Mac because her purchase from the Mac App Store is associated with her Apple ID. As long as she installed 1Password from the Mac App Store, it won't ask for license information.

It sounds like you & she are seeing something about 1Password on her Mac that leads you to believe she needs license information. Can you elaborate on that? If you can describe what's happening with 1Password on her Mac, we should be able to help with that. Thanks! :)

• smartakus
    smartakus
    Community Member

We figured it out from another user who posted with the same problem- thank you!

• @smartakus,

Sounds good, let us know if we can help in the future!

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.