Button on field like LastPass

Options
waskerg
waskerg
Community Member
edited January 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello! Can you tell me, does 1Password/1Password mini can show button on fields like LastPass? (look at the screen)
http://s019.radikal.ru/i603/1701/35/df56041f42e6.png

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: macOS 10.12.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @waskerg ,

Thanks for writing in, we don't inject buttons into fields. I can see that that button allows you to "Log in", "Fill Form" and "Generate Password" - we provide all those features in a number of different ways:

1. If you're not already viewing the login web form, using our 1Password Extension button at the top of the browser (next to the browser URL bar) you can choose a Login item. 1Password will open the web page and log you in.
    2. If you're already on the log in web form, clicking the 1Password Extension button will offer the Login item for you automatically. Click it to log in.
    3. The best way if you're already viewing the login web form is to use our awesome keyboard shortcuts to fill in your login (on a Mac, Command + \ will fill in a login form for you. On Windows Ctrl + \ will do the same :chuffed: )

Fill Form
    1Password allows you to fill in more than just your login details you can create Credit Card and Identity Items that will allow you to fill in Billing pages and Sign up web pages in a snap! Simply create a Credit Card or Identity Item in the main 1Password app and try filling one out the next time you need to pay for something or provide your identity information.

Generate Password
    Our easy-to-use password generator can be used by clicking on the 1Password extension button in your browser. On Mac, it's available right there as a menu item and it will allow you to automatically fill in a generated password into a web page - very useful when signing up to new websites.

On Windows, it's also available to you in the extension but you need to click on the cog icon and choose "Password Generator". This allows you to generate a password in the same way and then copy it and paste it into the web form.

I'd love to hear back from you to know if this helped or if you have any more questions.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• waskerg
    waskerg
    Community Member
    Options

Well maybe Agilebits will add this feature in future? It's easier to use than your ways

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @waskerg,

I am curious to understand more, is there a specific usage that you have that you reckon having an icon rather than a keyboard shortcut / extension button is better? There are three different ways to use that button (to login / generate a password / fill in a form). Is there one or more of those ways to use this button easier to use than 1Password?

Or perhaps do you think that the position of the button within each field is a more user-friendly place to have access to a password manager's interface?

Or something entirely different? :chuffed: We always welcome feedback, thank you for your comments!

Best regards,
    Matthew

• waskerg
    waskerg
    Community Member
    Options

When i used LastPass i could easy click on "injected button" without keyboard.
    Yes, i can use 1Password without keyboard too, but 1Password's button is on top of the Safari and so far from fields.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for explaining that @waskerg,

I can certainly understand that it is a good way of avoiding unnecessary mouse movement. May I suggest another way that 1Password that you can access without the keyboard or clicking on the 1Password extension button:

You can right-click anywhere on the page you're viewing and in the context menu that appears choose the "1Password" menu item (see screenshot of that below). That will bring up the same 1Password Mini which will allow you to Login / Generate Passwords and Fill Forms without having to click on the 1Password Extension button in the top-right of the browser!

Would that sound like it would work for you?

I appreciate you letting us know about this.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• waskerg
    waskerg
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I understood you. Thank you for advices. But i still don't understand why AgileBits don't like injections. 8-)
    Also i have another questions. Sorry for posting it in the same topic. I have some questions because as you see 1Password is not my first experience in password manager, before 1Password i used LastPass and its familiar for me.
    So, can i teach 1Password how to fill the fields on sites? For example:
    https://youtu.be/wbpA1Y1_1WE
    I can report this site in 1Password mini, but maybe i can fix this filling problem without developers?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @waskerg,

You can't really 'teach' 1Password about filling fields but if you use the steps outlined on our page How to save a Login manually in your browser you will be able to create a Login item that works for that page. Don't worry that when you save the Login item it claims there is no password, it has recorded it. The reason we're not filling for you there right now and why 1Password doesn't show a saved password by default is that field isn't a password field, it's just a plain text input field made to look like a password field. It's also why 1Password won't automatically offer to save for me - we use the presence of a password field as an indicator of whether we should interrupt the user's attention.

Once you've got the Login item saved you can tweak it so that it by default shows you the password. Edit the Login item and click the show web form details button. In there you will see a number of fields. Click the field directly below the silhouette of the person and set that field to the silhouette of the key and save. What you've done is told 1Password that this plain text field is the password field and it will then show you the contents of that field at the top like it normally does.

You should find it all works and looks as it should after this :smile: Let us know if you find differently.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just to add, saving a Login item from inside the browser is the preferred way of ensuring 1Password understands the page you want to fill. We do our best when with imported data but if a page goes beyond a standard text field for the username and a password field for the password then 1Password needs to have analysed and stored information on the page to properly fill it. This only comes when the Login item has been saved from inside the browser.

This discussion has been closed.