Trash, and archives, and unexpected copies of items I've moved

flyleaf
flyleaf
Community Member

I've been using 1Password for years without putting too much thought into setup and organization. I had been using the Trash as an archive, which seemed to work fine. Having just gotten current with the latest version, I did a little research on how people are using the app, and I went through the process of splitting off many of my passwords/items into two new vaults: one for family stuff that I can share over dropbox, and the other to archive old items.

My next step was going to be to look through my trash and decide what really ought to be archived, but what I didn't realize was that every item that I was moving across vaults was also spawning a copy into the Trash of my Primary vault. Now there's about 150 redundant items mixed in with the trashed items I was planning to be looking through. Ugh! If I had gone through my trash first, instead of my Primary vault, this would be so much easier — but I didn't know. ☹️

Is there any less-than-tedious way to figure out which items in the trash are not currently in other vaults? Whether an automated comparison, or just viewing two vaults in separate windows, side-by-side? Right now I could even get by with the simple ability to sort the trash by "date added to Trash". However, I could imagine similar scenarios where date added wouldn't sort it out. Really, the most helpful tool would be a sort/filter to "show items with duplicates outside trash," or some such. Of course, in that case I would also need a way to select and delete the unwanted items as a group, which isn't possible — just Empty Trash as a whole, right?

Okay, I'm sure you can find a feature request or two in there! Given the potential for these copies to become unwanted clutter, we really ought to have a handy way to deal with them.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.5.3 (653000) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 (15G31)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@flyleaf: I'm using 1Password in the same, vaguely bizarre fashion, with my Trash as my eternal 1Password historical record, but I can't say that I've ever been bothered by the fact that moved items end up there. The reason it works like this is that it's only possible to go back and revert moving an item between vaults if it's still in the Trash of the originating vault. And in the new vault, the item will also have a new UUID, since these are meant to be unique. While I can understand that this is a bit of a hassle for you if you're trying to micromanage your Trash, I think it's more important that we avoid data loss with the combination of moving to Trash and creating a new UUID. Since these won't technically be duplicates at that point (and the data can diverge significantly as you use the item in the new vault), your suggestion isn't really feasible. But you shoujld be able to find duplicate passwords easily using the Security Audit feature or search. Does that help?

This discussion has been closed.