Difficulty logging into Google accounts

bainw67
bainw67
Community Member

I am a new user trying to get set-up. I am using a MacBook Pro running El Capitan. My copy of 1Password 6 was purchased through the app store. I use Safari as my browser.

1Password seems to work as advertised apart from my Google services. I have two Gmail accounts, as well as other Google services. I have entered by login details into 1Password. However, if I click on one of my Gmail accounts using 1Password Mini nothing happens. But if I go manually to the Google login page and use the command \ function my login credential appear. Also, if I have already landed on the Gmail login page I can clock on 1Password mini, where by two Gmail addresses appear (not under the login tab), and login successfully. The problem is that I cannot login straight from 1Password mini without having the Gmail page already open, which defeats the purpose of 1Password, not to mention the fact that this is one of the advertised features of 1Password. On other logins I have no problem; if I click on Amazon (both the US and UK store) I am taken automatically to the login page as 1Password should work.

I'm at a loss as to what to do at this point; I've tried things I've read on various forums. Some help would be much appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bainw67: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! In order to use 1Password to login as efficiently as possible, and as you expect, you'll need to have an appropriate URL saved in your Login item. For example, if the URL you have is gmail.com, this isn't actually a login page, and will take you to a promotional page encouraging you to sign up. Not particularly helpful if you already have!

Instead, using the URL for a login page (like https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=mail&continue=https://mail.google.com/mail/#identifier ) will mean that if you select your Gmail login in 1Password, it will open your browser to a page where it can actually fill. Much more useful!

Additionally, if you're already at a google.com page of some kind, 1Password will not open the URL when you select a Login item for that domain. In that case, you can either navigate to the login form yourself and press ⌘ \, or open a new tab/window and selecting the Login item will have 1Password open the URL for you.

If you're still having trouble, knowing some basic information about your setup such as OS, 1Password, browser, and extensions versions, as well as the URLs in question -- both in your Login and the one you're visiting -- will allow us to test it and offer more help as well. Let us know what you find!

This discussion has been closed.