Can 1Password also act as a personal database?

TheSnyderFamily
TheSnyderFamily
Community Member

I have a small personal family database using the software Bento. Bento is obsolete. I'm looking for a way that I can import my small database into some kind of usable database and share with my Wife & Son via iCloud or Dropbox.

I see on my Mac, using the 1Password App the category for "Database"

That got me thinking maybe I can not only use 1Password to store our passwords & logins, but just maybe it can used to replace my old Bento database.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Mac App Store
OS Version: Mac 10.12.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:database

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TheSnyderFamily: I have to admit a high level of ignorance here. I remember checking out Bento about a decade ago, but I never really got into it and remember it only vaguely. The "Database" category is more for credentials needed to access an external database, not a database in itself.

Can you tell me more about what sort of data you'd be interested in storing in 1Password? While it may not be a perfect fit, depending on your needs and workflow, I keep pretty much everything important in 1Password since it's secure and I always have it with me on my devices.

While 1Password offers a number of categories/templates for storing specific types of data (Logins, like you mentioned, but also things like Bank Accounts and Software Licenses), probably the one I use most (after Logins, of course) is Secure Notes, since they're a great catch-all for all sorts of data:

Secure all the things in Secure Notes

I can add files and custom fields to tailor them to the content, and most of all this makes it easy to find pretty much anything I need with a quick search in 1Password. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions, or examples of what you're trying to do so I can make other suggestions! :)

This discussion has been closed.