Double Password

What is the best way to make "username / password" function if the form is "password / password" instead? The first goes in as if it were a "username" and the second goes in as if it were the "password". I can't share the site here, its on a private network. I tried editing the id names for each form field and this does not work. I tried many other things. Nothing works.

1Password Version: 6.5.4
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @akissz

First of all, you have a great avatar :love: I hope we can get to the bottom of this, even if we can't check the site ourselves! Have you tried saving the login manually? If you have, can you tell us exactly what happens when you save it or what kind of error you get when you try to use it to login? This will give us some insight on how the site is behaving :chuffed:

Please let us know what you find out so we can get this working out for you!

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member

Yes, I am a manual person. The only way I ca get it to work right now is with two actual entrys. One types the first password (username) and the second types the second password (password). I have tried changing the field names and the small pull down menu that changes each entry to user and pass, etc.

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member

@Pilar glad you like the photo.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @akissz,

Saving two logins is a creative workaround, thanks for sharing :chuffed: Hopefully we can improve upon this.

In Pilar's reply she linked to some instructions for how to save a login manually which is a different way of creating a Login item which records more information about how you login into a website than is possible when you create a Login using the 1Password main app. The extra information that is saved should allow 1Password to create a Login item for you that will fill in that double password login.

If you haven't already please try out that save a login manually guide and see if you can create a new Login item that works.

Let me know how that goes or if you have any questions about it.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member

@matthewoflynn

Manual editing does not work. I am a expert user. I can not get it to work with this complicated website. Thanks for trying to help.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @akissz ,

I'm very sorry with the frustration of this however there isn't any manual editing involved in those steps I linked to.

In Step 4 of the steps it says to click on "Save new Login" and then 1Password should then pop up a window offering to save a new Login item for you. This would be a new Login item rather than editing your existing Login items. This new item should be the one that will work.

I hope this clarifies things,

Matthew

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member

@matthewoflynn

I don't understand why that way would be better than manual. I prefer manual editing.

Its also a html5 type of page where the second password is on a second slide in box. So I would need to click the 1password mini icon twice. Though I would ideally like to make it function with one entry instead of two entrys.

You are saying if it works with two entrys then it should work with one? even if both fields are password fields?

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member

@matthewoflynn
    @Pilar

The two things that are conflicting are the little pull down menu option that selects the key or user profile icons in the edit details. The second conflicting part is the form name ids are not functioning properly. The info is typed into the incorrect name form location. For example the first form space is named "userid" but 1password types the field named password into that box when the pull down menu has the key selected, and when the key is not selected it will not type anything. I can make it type one field only, not both.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@akissz: Without us knowing any of the specifics, I'm afraid you're doomed to our best guesses. :lol:

I don't understand why that way would be better than manual. I prefer manual editing.

It's splitting hairs I don't have a bit, but I think we should draw a clear distinction here:

1. Autosave: You submit a login form and 1Password offers to save it automatically.
    2. Manual save: You fill out the form, but instead of submitting it, you tell 1Password to save it.
    3. Create/edit by hand: You use 1Password's editing interface and enter/modify the data yourself.

From your description, a hand-made (#3) login will not allow 1Password to fill this login for you, as it doesn't natively support multiple password fields. We've been suggesting manually saving it (#2) so that 1Password can save additional information about the webpage and its fields so it can try to recreate this the next time you ask it to fill on that page.

Rather than trying to describe the page to us in minute detail, it would probably be easier to give us the URL so we can test it ourselves to offer a solution, workaround, or improvements in the future. If you prefer, shoot us an email with it at support+extension@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion. Otherwise we're just kind of throwing darts blindfolded and hoping we hit something inanimate. ;)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @akissz,

I've just read the conversation and there are a couple of things that stood out to me.

A Login item will only ever allow one field to be designated as the username field and one as the password field and that's what the menu offering the silhouette of the person and key are about. They dictate what values will be visible when viewing a Login item normally from either the main 1Password window or 1Password mini. This is separate from the field type but 1Password does have it's best success when the username is a text field and the password is a password field.

This isn't to say 1Password can't fill multiple password fields though. The reason you've been recommended to save a Login item from within the browser is because there is a strategy that will only be used when a Login item has been saved from inside the browser. If a Login item was saved within the browser and the page's fingerprint matches the one saved we restore fields using the data stored within the web form details section. Until very recently this would be the only way to get anything outside of a standard text field and password field to fill e.g. 3+ fields to 2 password fields. It's still the easiest way by far. I used to create all of my Login items manually as an Opera 12 fan running 1Password 3 for Mac didn't have the luxury of the extension. I almost never create my Login items this way now because I just do see any advantage of doing so.

You may have noticed I said "Until very recently...". There is a new strategy in 1Password that made its appearance in version 6.5 but one we've purposely limited given it could have an impact on filling. We've run a number of tests but that doesn't mean we're guaranteed the same success rate once it was out in the wild and it's just not worth the risk of damaging filling for everybody. The strategy is accessible though for those that wish to tinker.

1. Create a basic Login item from inside your browser and ensure you save.
    2. Edit the Login item and enter the web form details.
    3. Set the field label to match the field on the page you want to fill. The best success is with a field ID assuming it is static. If not the name attribute (again, assuming its static) or a label can be used as long as the page isn't crazy in its design. Ensure the field type is set correctly too. This can mean rooting around in the raw HTML.
    4. Repeat step 3 as many times as needed for the various fields you wish to fill. If you have additional fields beyond the username and password field they can be added.

Normally I would test a page to ensure this will work before suggesting but you've already made mention that it's a private network so that isn't possible. This strategy is mostly aimed at odd occasions where the restore fields strategy from a browser saved Login item doesn't work. Depending on the page it's also not guaranteed to work because 1Password does a number of evaluations to decide what strategy is best to use and it may be another strategy is simply dominate but the why is almost impossible to say without a review of the page in question.

One question and it's more just to make sure I'm not making an assumption I shouldn't be. This is definitely a single page form with the two password fields both visible at the same time?

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables

I had already done all of what you described I think. 1Password does not type the info into the field names correctly. I do tests by making the data simple 1 or 2 letters to make sure its typing the first password correct or second correct. I disable auto submit also.

Yes the id names are static, the same each time.

And technically it is the same page, same url, same domain, but it is submitted to it self one time, then loads the page a second time to enter the second password, so its not actually html5.

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member

I would think this would be simple because the form field names should be typed into the correct fields by naming the fields in the entry in 1password, and they are not typed into the fields correctly...

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables
    I use Greasemonkey. Can I write a script to change the first password space into a real username field and will this work along side 1Password? I have tried writing this script but I am not good with writing Javascript.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @akissz,

If the page is submitting data and dynamically altering the page based on the submission that could very well change the playing field. It would likely mean 1Password attempts to submit the password as the username on the 'first' page when it defaults to the strategy that believes its on a page requesting a password only. Based on this I have a couple of questions.

1. Is the username field on the page still editable by you as the user once you've submitted and it is now asking for your password?
    2. What does the Login item attempt to fill into each field of each 'page'? I believe we have to look at them separately.
    3. If you create a Login item using the steps detailed on our page How to save a Login manually in your browser, one for the first 'page' and another for the second how do the web form details compare, are there different fields in the second Login item?

If the page is physically changing then what you're describing is the equivalent of a multi-page login form that also uses password fields where a text field is expected. It may very well end up requiring two Login items as sometimes it isn't possible to create a single Login item if the page is unusual enough and this sounds like it's very much entering that area.

I don't have an answer for you regarding your Greasemonkey question I'm afraid, that one would be a case of trying and seeing. It's possible it might work but then it's also possible the site objects to the field being tampered with and I don't think there's any way to know until you try.

• akissz
    akissz
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables
    @brenty
    @matthewag
    @Pilar

OK. I got it working after hours of tests. First I created a complete manual login. Edited it so both entrys are "text" selected in the pull down menu. Second, the second password entry is set with the "key" icon in pull down menu. Third, CSS ID names are typed in the entry names. Forth, the first password (username) is not selected key or user from the icon pull down menu so its seen as text only I suppose. Fifth, I wrote a JavaScript plugin that converts the inputs into text, this allows the first password to be typed, and the second password is still masked for some reason, which is fine and perfectly how I wanted it to be. I am glad I got it working. Maybe 1Password team can use some of this info to add or improve some feature. I am glad I got it working.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that you were able to figure it out. But again, it won't be feasible for us to make changes to try to accommodate something like that without being able to test our work. Anyway, it sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of assistance. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.