Auto-Submit not working in Chrome's Incognito mode / New Tab.

mmmmm
mmmmm
Community Member
edited January 2017 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi,

I am using 1P Extention in Chrome on a Mac.
If I open a new Private Window/Tab and then hit Cmd+\ and choose the credentials to login somewhere, 1P opens the website and fills in my credentials BUT NOT in the Private Window - it opens up a new "Normal" Window/Tab and does it there.

Is there anything I can do to fix that or is it something for you to handle?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017

@mmmmm: It sounds like you're not actually using 1Password in Chrome at all when this happens, and that it's only opening a Chrome windows at all because it's your default browser. Let me explain.

In order to use 1Password (or any extension) in Incognito Mode, you need to enable that first in Chrome:

chrome://extensions/

Otherwise 1Password cannot function in Incognito Mode at all, so you're probably just opening 1Password mini in the menu bar or with the keyboard shortcut (⌘ ⌥ \), and then when you open a login URL from there, macOS passes it to your default browser -- Chrome, un cognito. Does that help? :)

• mmmmm
    mmmmm
    Community Member

Hi brenty,

(Btw feel free to change the Subject line of the Thread to something more appropriate, I don't know that happened there.)

Your first guess is actually wrong - Safari is my default browser and the extension there works in Private Browsing.

You were right about the second one - in Chrome, I had to allow the extension to work in Incognito mode.

However, now, the "Automatic sign in after filing usernames and passwords" does not work, it just fills in the username and password (It works in Safari). How do I fix that?

Also, in the Chrome Extensions settings, under 1P and next to "Allow in incognito", there is a "Allow access to files URLs" - what is that for?

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mmmmm,

Thanks for writing in and sorry for the extension trouble - it's a curious case. I believe I've been able to reproduce but it seems the problem may appear to be related to Chrome's incognito mode but it's more related to how 1Password handles open-and-fill when on a new tab (no website loaded in the current tab). I've updated the title of the discussion to reflect this.

You mentioned the "Allow access to files URLs" permission in Chrome's Extension setting, I'm afraid that's unrelated and the 1Password extension doesn't rely on it. The "Allow access to files URLs" permission is intended to allow you to use an extension with HTML files that you load from your hard drive.

Regarding the issue you described - here's what I'm seeing:
    1. I open a new tab in Chrome (normal non-incognito mode - although the same will happen in incognito mode because a new tab is the default first view).
    2. Open 1Password Mini using either the extension button or keyboard shortcut and choose your Login item.
    3. 1Password opens the website in the current Chrome tab and fills in the credentials.
    4. I'm seeing that Auto-Submit is not happening for this kind of usage.

Would that describe what you're seeing @mmmmm?

Thanks for reporting this - we heavily depend on reports like this to help us find issues with 1Password so we really appreciate you letting us know.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• mmmmm
    mmmmm
    Community Member

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for the info regarding the Extension settings.

On the issue - yes, you've described it perfectly. That's exactly what I am seeing.

But if I do the same in Safari, it Auto-Submits.

Is the problem something that is within your control to tackle?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mmmmm: Thanks for clarifying! I knew I had to be missing something. It sounds like this comes down to Autosubmit in Chrome, and unless I'm misunderstanding again, this is a known limitation with Chrome itself. I'll elaborate, and you can tell me if I get off track again.

1. You open a new Chrome window or tab (Incognito or not shouldn't make any difference here)
    2. The Chrome "Omnibox" (where you enter a URL or search) is focused
    3. You open 1Password and choose a login
    4. 1Password opens the URL (since there is none loaded yet) and fills
    5. 1Password does not Autosubmit, as the extension cannot shift focus from the Omnibox to the login form (you'll notice that it's hilighted)

The only way around this currently is to have another page loaded (pretty much anything: a website, Chrome settings, etc.) when opening a login with 1Password. The New Tab "page" in Chrome behaves differently than everything else in the browser, focusing the Omnibox unless you navigate away from it, and there's no way for an extension to do this for you unfortunately. Safari, as you noted, behaves differently. I hope this at least helps make sense of what you're seeing, but I'm sorry that it isn't of much real help. :unamused:

• mmmmm
    mmmmm
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

Hi brenty,

thank you for the explanation. It makes sense.

Btw, based on your comments I figured out another way. Even if you don't have another page open, you can just click anywhere in the white space (in order to navigate away from the Omnibox) in the New Tab "page" and then open a login with 1Password.

In Chrome, I use an extension called Empty New Tab Page. The above works there too - you just have to click in the empty space in the Empty New Tab Page and then open a login with 1Password.

Though, that's just mind games as if we're going to click, we might as well just click on the Login button once the credentials are filled :)

Thank you for the help again! Case closed! :)

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mmmmm ,

I'm glad Brenty was able to help. Case closed indeed :chuffed:

That suggestion is great hopefully it will help others reading too, thanks for sharing!

Best regards,
    Matthew

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Btw, based on your comments I figured out another way. Even if you don't have another page open, you can just click anywhere in the white space (in order to navigate away from the Omnibox) in the New Tab "page" and then open a login with 1Password.

That's a really good point. I was just focused on Go & Fill, which unfortunately can't work under the circumstances, but if you really wanna get tricky, you can do a quick Tab (to get out of the ominous-sounding Omnibox) and press Return or ⌘ \ to submit. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.