To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I purchased from the Google Play store. I have my email receipt but need my sign in address and key

Options
rlboyd
rlboyd
Community Member

My android phone died. Once I reinstalled the software, the 1 password app is present but treats me as a new user. When I try to login to add an account it wants my sign in address, my email address, my account key and my password. All I have is my email address and my password. The only documentation I have is my Google Play Store receipt. The other option is to use without an account, but then it wants my data location. I think this is all gone. So how do I activate my account again and use my passwords. For security I only back them up to hard copy.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:google play store purchase details

Comments

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlboyd - Thanks for reaching out to us. Buying 1Password doesn't automatically grant you an account. Unless you signed up for a subscription, 1Password is a standalone application (see this article to learn the difference between standalone and subscription).

If you haven't synced your data to other devices prior to the phone dying, your data was only stored on your Android phone. Unless you have a device backup that you could restore your new phone from, your data is lost, I'm afraid.

I'm happy to hear you have a hard copy of your data. It's not ideal, as it now requires manual entry into your new phone, but it's better than nothing.

To avoid losses like this in the future, I'd recommend having your data in an additional location, not just your phone. You can achieve this by syncing your data or creating regular backups. An easy way to have your data 'elsewhere' for backup is our subscription service. Check it out if it's of interest to you. It comes with a 30-day trial period.

• rlboyd
    rlboyd
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Roman
    I figured as much. But how do I get back in to my app without purchasing a new subscription?

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rlboyd - Oh, I'm sorry for not mentioning this! You'll need to choose the option to start with a new, empty vault. You will then be prompted to enter a Master Password that you'll use from then on.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need any additional information. I’ll be happy to help! :)

• rlboyd
    rlboyd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again. I finally got my phone back after repairs and followed your advice. All was empty as expected with no 1password app on the phone.I started with an empty vault, put in a new master password and started up. My question is how does 1password know that I previously purchased the app? Do I have a normal app now or just the 30 day trial? Thanks for your assistance.

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rlboyd - The Google Play Store knows you bought it previously and lets you re-download free of charge. You should be running the unlocked version now. I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.