Demoting a Login Item to a Password Item

Options
hunterian
hunterian
Community Member

I recall once seeing a prompt when selecting an item under the Passwords category that asked if I wanted to save the Password as a Login. I no longer see this, but what I'd actually like to do is the opposite. I have over 100 logins, which makes using the MiniApp and browser-extension pop-ups cumbersome. Most of these I rarely if ever use, and would like to store them as Passwords so they no longer appear in the pop-up menus. Is there a way of moving an item from the Login to the Password category? Thanks.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.5.3 (653000)
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hunterian,

Thanks for your question! There's no button to convert a Login item to a Password item, so if that's really what you want to do, you would need to create a new Password item and then copy & paste details to it from the Login item.

However, Password items don't have "username" fields, so unless the Login items you rarely use only contain a password and a website, that's not going to be a good solution for you. There are actually a couple other options that I think you'll like better, and which are easier than copying/pasting between items.

One option is to edit an item and change the 'display' setting to "Never display in browser" (then remember to click Save). Do that for each item you don't want to see listed in 1Password mini / browser extension.

Another option is to create a new vault in 1Password (go to 1Password > New Vault in the menubar), then move your rarely-used Logins to that new vault. Then go to 1Password > Preferences > All Vaults and un-check the new vault so its items aren't shown in the 'All Vaults' view (you can still see them by switching to that specific vault).

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions about that, just let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• hunterian
    hunterian
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply. "Never display in browser" works for me; hadn't realized it also removed item from the MiniApp. I appreciate your help!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hunterian

On behalf of Drew, you're very welcome! I'm glad to hear that his suggestion works well for you. If you have any other questions or ever need us again we're always here for you :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.