1Password differences

This discussion was created from comments split from: Reset password page leaks information about valid email addresses.

Comments

• belinda
    belinda
    Community Member

I don't know if this is the correct place for this question...but can someone tell me the difference between this 1password and the iPassword app on my iPhone?
    Thanks

• belinda
    belinda
    Community Member

I don't know if this is the correct place for this question...but can someone tell me the difference between this 1password and the iPassword app on my iPhone?
    Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@belinda: While I'm not certain without the precise context of your question, you've come to the right place in the sense that this is the AgileBits support forum, and myself and the rest of the AgileBits team, who make 1Password are here to help in any way we can. So if you're referring to this particular website, that may already be the answer you're looking for. But if you can clarify for me exactly what you're wondering about, I'm sure I can help. In the mean time, I'll give you a bit of an overview, in case it helps make sense of things. There are a number of 1Password resources:

• Support forums — this website, where you can get help from AgileBits staff and other 1Password users
    • The 1Password knowledgebase — guides and resources for getting the most out of 1Password
    • 1Password.com — where you can find general information about our 1Password products and services (more on this later)
    • The individual 1Password apps — Mac, iOS, Windows, and Android
    • The 1Password.com subscription service — includes all of the apps (rather than buying them separately), the web interface, and requires no license management or sync configuration — you simply login to your account on each device to access your data

If you can provide more details about where you're running into trouble, I'm sure we can get things sorted out for you. :)

• belinda
    belinda
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

Well I have an app that's included on my phone called "iPassword". And this is called 1password so wasn't sure if it's the same, renamed? If not my question is, anyone familiar with both to tell me what 1password does better or easier?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017

@belinda: Well, I couldn't tell you anything about that, as we don't develop or support it. But I can tell you pretty much anything you want to know about 1Password (with a number 1)! If you have specific questions, just let me know.

But generally speaking, 1Password is an app you can use to easily encrypt your most important data to keep it safe, so that no one else can access it without your Master Password. I use this for pretty much everything since it's easy to search and find information when I need it on any of my devices (using the 1Password.com subscription service). But by far the most popular uses of 1Password are saving and filling Logins, Credit Cards, and Identities.

Logins in particular, since we don't have to memorize them anymore, can use unique, randomly generated passwords that no one can guess, and so that even if a website is breached, the perpetrator won't be able to use the same password to login to your other accounts. 1Password can not only store this information for your securely, but in most cases it can fill your login credentials for you.

And while there are certainly other apps that do something similar, I think that the design of 1Password makes it pleasant to use, and our responsive support means you're not alone any time you have questions. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

I don't know anything about "iPassword", but I would not trust an impostor whose name is meant to confuse users. There are of course others but I think Agilebits's reputation is stellar! :)

Even if you choose not to use 1Password, there are others like KeePass, LastPass, Enpass etc. That are reputable. A few of the Apps are free with more reputation than iPassword.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I see an App called iPassword in the App Store. Version 1.0 was released in April 2012 and the "current" version (1.1) in May 2012... Screenshots show a "pre iOS 7" (fat instead of flat) look. All this App seems to do is generate passwords and store them on the clipboard.

Is that the App you refer to?

1Password can do that as well, but much more. It will not only generate strong passwords, but also securely store them and sync them between all your devices, allowing you to use them without typing them yourself. Also 1Password is regularly updated/maintained, which is rather important for a security App.

They have free trials; perhaps you can try one and check the differences yourself?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem, @XIII: Thanks for weighing in, and with such kind words! :blush:

Screenshots show a "pre iOS 7" (fat instead of flat) look.

Loved the "fat instead of flat" comment. We've had our fair share of "fat" looking apps too. They looked great for their time, but man those look old to me now! :lol:

@belinda: And indeed, all "flavours" of 1Password at least have a free trial, and the mobile apps specifically are a free download with an in-app purchase if you want the Pro Features (which are also included in a 1Password.com subscription). I really, really don't like spending money without test driving first, so I'm glad we're able to offer that. :sunglasses:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

Depending on which iPassword version is being referred to as there are both "I" and "i" Password. I see from the App Store that there may be 10 or more versions. And the correct name is skeumorphic Apps which ended with iOS 7.

Any critism of 1Password would be that the TOTP is spaced too wide and could be packed closer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: That's a really good point, since a number of apps can end up appearing to have the same name, since the "display name" and "app name" (not sure of the correct terms, but it's the App Store listing and then the registered name with Apple) can be different.

And the correct name is skeumorphic Apps which ended with iOS 7.

lol fair enough, but I'd hate to have to spell or say that. :lol:

Any critism of 1Password would be that the TOTP is spaced too wide and could be packed closer.

Can you elaborate? Maybe this is a particular version.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

Was using Google Authenticator. I will need to set TOTP for 1Password on some sites.

Unlike Google's Authenticator App, I see no indication that the 1Password TOTP can be stacked?

https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, gotcha. Sounds like a good weekend project! :) :+1:

• belinda
    belinda
    Community Member

Thanks guys...it seems iPassword is very similar and does similar things as 1password but I like what someone said about being leery of someone naming something so closely related. AND, I didn't think to look at the date it was last updated. That is a big deal for me. It does not have clear directions for use either so all of that sways me to at least not pay to upgrade when I'm done with free trial and move on to this one which has very good ratings close to dash lane from my research. And I do not mind paying for an app I've tried and really like as long as it's not crazy amount and that I don't have to keep paying for things.
    I was just thinking I might use it since it came preloaded on my phone but not as convinced especially since it's not easily learned (for a novice) and the customer service is horrible from reviews.
    Thanks to all

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

@belinda, Did you get a used phone? Because the iPhone as new definitely does not come with it.

A brand new iPhone does come with Wallet. Everything else is available from the App Store. Or did someone arbitarily download Apps into your phone. It's been known to happen, especially with children.

• belinda
    belinda
    Community Member

Yes new iPhone 7, my kids don't use my phone. I noticed it was there when I upgraded. But I've been looking for a password managed for a while so maybe I added it and forgot. It looks very similar to "1" that maybe I thought it was the same. But anyway, I've downloaded this one and am trying to learn how to use it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@belinda: It can definitely be a bit daunting to learn something new, but if you have any questions about 1Password at all we're here for you. :)

• belinda
    belinda
    Community Member

Is there a video of how to get started? I set it up and went to logins and pushed YouTube, put my email address in and generate new password. Saved to favorites and then pushed login to see if it would fill in and it did not. I thought that was a feature that it filled in so you didn't have to copy and paste?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@belinda: There isn't a video expressly for the iOS version (it sounds like that's what you're using), but we have a getting started guide:

Get to know 1Password for iOS

Ultimately though everyone is going to use 1Password a bit differently, so we don't want to tell you what to do so much as what you can do. So if there's something you're trying to accomplish, we can give suggestions on how to get there. :)

• belinda
    belinda
    Community Member

So what I want to do is not have to fill in passwords to all of the websites I frequent. But I'm confused...am I supposed to be accessing them through the apps I have installed on my phone after putting them in one password or I have to go through 1password every time I want to access a website?

I'm also really confused now that I've been playing around with it. Some apps are connected it seems through google or gmail. So now I've kind of got a mess of some sites I copy pasted the 1password to it and it won't open because it's connected to some other site. Ugh I'm so technically challenged

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

So what I want to do is not have to fill in passwords to all of the websites I frequent. But I'm confused...am I supposed to be accessing them through the apps I have installed on my phone after putting them in one password or I have to go through 1password every time I want to access a website?

@belinda: 1Password can only automatically fill login credentials if you open the URL in 1Password itself, using the built-in browser. However, if you enable the 1Password iOS extension, you can use it to fill in Safari and other apps that love 1Password:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps (iOS)

I'm also really confused now that I've been playing around with it. Some apps are connected it seems through google or gmail. So now I've kind of got a mess of some sites I copy pasted the 1password to it and it won't open because it's connected to some other site. Ugh I'm so technically challenged

I don't think it has anything to do with technical ability; it's just hard to keep track of this stuff -- which is probably why you wanted to check out 1Password in the first place! While it's certainly not something any of us can do overnight if we have a lot of accounts (and that's most of us), once we get the info into 1Password, it makes it easier to find and use going forward.

It sounds like what you're specifically talking about here though is when websites give you multiple login options, such as "Login with Facebook", "Google", "Twitter", etc. There isn't a way for 1Password to (strictly speaking) remember which one to use and click/tap to select it for you. But one trick I like to use helps me remember which one so I can select it: I save the name of the service as the username.

So, for example, I've saved a login at https://www.strava.com/login -- but I don't have a username and password for the site, because I use my Google account. So I have "Google" saved as the username (with no password) so that when I try to have 1Password fill it, I see this and realize I need to select the "Login using Google" option first, and then use my Google account credentials.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.