Is ok to delete the default Shared vault on a Family Account? Will this break anything?

Options
edgrsanchez
edgrsanchez
Community Member

The default Family Shared Vault seems like a great idea and I'm sure many would find it useful, especially in a single household. The issue is that my Family Account is shared between me, my partner, my parents, and my young brother.

Because of this, I don't really foresee a time when EVERYONE in my Family Account would ever need to access the same logins. For example, my young brother doesn't need to access anything other than some education/school websites and social media sites on his personal vault. Whereas me and my parents share logins for financial sites.

I've created a Shared Vault for me and my parents as well as a Shared Vault for me and my partner. The default Family Shared Vault is empty and it sometimes confuses my parents.

Is it ok to delete it? Can it be restored later if I need it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Family Account

Comments

• User Name
    User Name
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

You can delete it, though I've not seen an option to restore the "special" shared vault which all users have access to automatically.

You could easily recreate it manually just by making a new vault and giving everyone access though.

I deleted the default "Shared" vault, because I don't want anyone but me editing the shared passwords.

I then created a new "Shared" vault that I have full permissions to, and family members have read-only access to.

We use this vault for commonly shared passwords for things like Netflix or WiFi passwords so that I can update the password if required, and they can just pull the current one from the vault or use it to set up new devices - but they cannot make edits to them accidentally.

While there is no option to disable the personal vaults for a family member, I also created separate vaults for my parents/siblings using their names and set that as the default vault in all their apps, so that I can easily help out without needing direct access to their devices.

• edgrsanchez
    edgrsanchez
    Community Member
    Options

@User Name - Thanks, that answers my question!

• Glad to hear User Name helped out. :) We're here if you have some other questions as well.

• DaveZappa
    DaveZappa
    Community Member
    Options

I also accidentally decided to delete the default Shared vault on my 1P Families Account. It was empty, so I thought "no harm done" but now I'm not so sure I should have done so. "User Name" mentioned above that he didn't "see an option to restore the "special" shared vault which all users have access to automatically." Can the default Shared vault be recreated or restored - by AgileBits on your end, if not by me on mine? If so, I would like to do so.

• Hi @DaveZappa - Thank you for reaching out to us. Sorry about that... You can create another vault then name it "Shared" then add any family members to the vault so they have access to it as well. I will include a helpful link below that might be useful -

https://support.1password.com/create-share-vaults/#create-a-vault

I hope this helped and let us know if you have any additional questions. Have a fantastic day!

This discussion has been closed.