Syncing all passwords from my phone to my new PC

dakprescott
dakprescott
Community Member

My mac finally died and I can't figure out how to share all my old passwords with my new computer. I have tried to export the file but my PC is looking for a .1pif file and all I get is a .opvault folder. I have tried dropbox but have no option on my phone to even sync to dropbox. I have also signed up for a my.1password.com account and I can't sync to that either.

1Password Version: 6.2.333d (PC) 6.4.5 (Android)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: ANYTHING

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dakprescott: Unless you're using the 1Password.com subscription service, it's best to use 1Password for Windows version 4. It's a mature app which supports local vaults, and 1Password 6 is only needed for the subscription.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password subscription, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

1Password.com

If you'd prefer that, just login to your account and migrate your data using 1Password 6. Otherwise you can use 1Password 4 on Windows and sync your data with Android using Dropbox. If you already setup 1Password for Android differently, just reinstall it and start fresh. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• DChau
    DChau
    Community Member

I have similar issue here. There is no "sync through Dropbox" option on my Android phone. Neither a subscription service option available. There seems to be no way can I export the data from the Android.

version is 1Password for Android 6.3b2

• roya
    roya
    Community Member

@DChau You should update to the latest version, which is 6.5b9. What do you see on your sync settings? Also, have you signed up for an account? What device are you trying to sync with?

• DChau
    DChau
    Community Member

@roya
    Google Play Store does not say I can update so I do not know how do I update to the "latest version".
    In "Settings -> Sync" menu there is only a "Wi-Fi Sync" option, and I think you can not sync the data to Mac through wifi sync.
    There is no "1Password account" item in "Settings" menu so I have not signed up.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DChau: If you setup 1Password with another sync option, or without local vaults at all, you won't be able to choose Dropbox without reinstalling the app. What sync method have you been using, and where do you have your data currently? It isn't clear if you're trying to use a 1Password.com Account or the standalone app. If you'll give me a better sense of what you're trying to do here I'm sure I can help! :)

• DChau
    DChau
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

@brenty
    I used wifi sync between a Mac and an Android device.
    Now I have data in Android; data in Mac is accidentally lost.
    I do not know how do I restore the data on Mac.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DChau: Ah, I see. If you go to 1Password for Mac File > Restore, you can choose from a backup listed there to get your data back. Can you tell me what happened in the first place though?

• DChau
    DChau
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

@brenty
    I can restore a ".1p4_zip" backup to Mac.
    But I do not know how do I export the data from Android.

• DChau
    DChau
    Community Member

@brenty
    Do you mean how I lost my data on Mac by "in the first place"? The data was erased completely and there is no way to restore it.

• Hey @DChau. First things first, let's make a backup of your Android vault. Launch and unlock 1Password on Android and select Settings > Advanced > Export Primary Vault. This will create a .opvault folder in your device's local storage for safekeeping.

Now, were you able to restore the backup on your Mac? If you launch 1Password on Mac and select File > Restore, you should be able to restore that file. If so, are you able to initiate WLAN sync between the Mac and Android now?

If not, go ahead and connect the Android to the Mac with a USB cable and copy the .opvault folder from your Android's local storage to the Mac. Then double-click it to open it up with 1Password. Let us know when you've done that and we can help with updating 1Password on Android and switching you over to a hosted account if you like. :)

• DChau
    DChau
    Community Member

@peri
    Under "Settings -> Advanced" there is only one item "Email diagnostics".

• DChau
    DChau
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

I am a programmer.
    I think 1password for Android does not give me any option to export or sync the data for my situation.
    /data/data/com.agilebits.onepassword/databases looks like the vault. I wonder if it is convertible to .opvault or .1p4_zip or .agilekeychain.

• Sorry @DChau. I realize that you're using an outdated version of 1Password from before we supported exporting to local storage. You mentioned that you're not seeing the update in the Play Store. Do you see 1Password in your installed apps there? Are you still opted into the beta?

That said, on Android, your data isn't saved in a local cache. It's only saved where you're syncing, so you won't be able to restore it from your local cache. We'll need to restore sync with your Mac.

Were you able to restore the backup on your Mac as per my previous instructions?

• DChau
    DChau
    Community Member

@peri
    I have "1Password" in my installed apps. I did not opt in beta. In "Settings -> About" it shows "Version 6.3b2".

Looks like something wrong with Play Store?
    I can't export a backup from Android.

• DChau
    DChau
    Community Member

@brently @peri
    Just opt into beta. Now everything works. Thank you for all the help.

• I'm very glad to hear that, @DChau! Let us know if you need anything else!

This discussion has been closed.