I normally use Safari as my browser. How can I make 1password open a particular website in Chrome?

Safari is normally my browser of choice. However, there are a couple of websites that I use that work better in Chrome. When I open Chrome and use the 1password extension to fill my username & password it automatically opens the page in Safari. How do I force it to use Chrome?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Debimo ,

Thanks for writing in - sorry about the trouble. I'd like to understand how you're using the 1Password extension in Chrome. Do you click on the 1Password button in the Chrome browser or do you use a specific keyboard shortcut to open the extension?

Best regards,
    Matthew

• Debimo
    Debimo
    Community Member

I've been using the 1Password button in the Chrome browser.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

Hey @Debimo ,

Thanks for letting me know, I think what might be happening is this:

1. You click on the extension button.
    2. Search for your extension, or find it under the Login menu.
    3. Then hover over the Login item until the item displays the details.
    4. Finally click "open and fill" on the website you wish to open.

Unfortunately this way of using 1Password's extension will result in the default browser being opened rather than the one you are currently using. This is something we would like to get changed in the future and we have a number of other users who have asked about this. We're currently tracking this request and our ID for it is OPM-2808. We'll mention this ID in our release notes whenever we have this changed.

However, we do have a nice workaround for you that will work today :chuffed:

Here are the steps:

1. Click the extension button.
    2. In the 1Password Mini popup, search for the Login item using the keyboard, e.g. "Facebook" or just enter the first number of characters.
    3. The Login item you're searching for will appear in the search results underneath the search field.
    4. You can either use the mouse to click on the Login item in the search results or use the keyboard's Down arrow to select the Login item you'd like to use and hit Return / Enter to open it. This will open the Login item in the current browser rather than the default browser.

Just a note regarding this workaround: if you have multiple website fields for your Login item, opening the Login item from the search results will only use the top-most website in your Login item. You can edit the Login item to change the ordering to pick which website field you'd like 1Password to use in this case.

Hopefully that helps - please let me know if this is OK for you.

Best regards,
    Matthew

ref: OPM-2808

• Debimo
    Debimo
    Community Member

Thanks for that Matthew. All working fine now using that method. It also seems to work with the keyboard shortcut that you asked about previously.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome @Debimo,

Glad that helped :chuffed:

Do let us know if you've any other questions about 1Password or hit other issues - we'd be happy to help.

All the best,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.