Help setting up my Family Account

Options
RCMjr
RCMjr
Community Member

I have just finished with my Trial account and moved to the Family Plan, but I'm having trouble setting it up.

On 1PW.com, I’m showing two Vaults: Personal and Shared
On my iMac app, I have Primary, Family-Test (I want to delete but don’t know how), Mom, Personal, and Shared
On my iPhone7 I have Personal and Shared
The Personal Vault has 117 items and Mom has 15. All Vaults from my iMac show 132 Items which is correct.

I want to share and give complete access to everything in my Personal Vault to my wife. We aren’t going to have individual vaults - everything we have will be completely accessible to both of us. I want it so either of us can create, edit, and delete as necessary.

Once she’s set up and we know what we’re doing, I’ll set up my kids. I will only want to give them access to things like Netflix where they can log in. I won’t give them access to things like my bank account.

I appreciate the help.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90 4.6.2
OS Version: 10.12.2 (iMac) 10.0.2 (iPad) 10.2.1 (iPhone)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @RCMjr,

Thanks for the overview of the various devices. That'll help us significantly. This is going to take a few steps. If you get stuck just tell me where and we'll figure things out.

Clearing out your Mac's extra vaults

On your Mac, can you use the vault switcher dropdown at the top left of the main window to select the Primary vault? Are there any items in there? If so, are they duplicates of what you have in Personal, or are they different? If there are items in there, you should select them, the use the Item > Share > Personal > Copy menu item to copy them to your Personal vault.

You should do that with the Family-Test vault as well.

Once there's nothing in those two vaults that you don't have elsewhere, it's time to get rid of them:

1. Choose the Family-Test vault in the vault switcher
    2. Use the File > Delete vault... menu item to delete it
    3. Choose the Primary vault in the vault switcher
    4. Use the File > Delete vault... menu item, which will have you confirm the Master Password and possibly have you enter your account's master password as well if they were different.

After doing this, your Mac should have Personal, and Shared. You'll be unlocking the Mac with the Master Password of the 1Password Families account.

Creating the Vault to Share with your wife

Unfortunately you can't just share your Personal vault with your wife. 1Password.com is designed such that only you have access to Personal. But that doesn't mean you can't get things setup as you would want, it just requires another vault.

Using your browser, login to your 1Password Families account. Right on the first page you should see a "New Vault" button.

1. Create the vault that you're going to use to share items with your wife. Give it a name like "Parents vault" (I'm creative like that)
    2. Once it's created, use the menu in the top right and choose Admin Console
    3. Choose Vaults
    4. Select the vault you just created
    5. Click "Manage Access" and give your wife access to the vault

Now that both you and your wife have access to the vault, it's time to move every thing you want to share with her into that vault. The easiest way to do that is to go to your Mac.

1. Choose the Personal vault in the vault switcher
    2. Select all of the items you want to share with your wife
    3. Use the Item > Share > Parents Vault > Move menu item
    4. Choose the Shared vault in the vault switcher
    5. Select any items in there that you don't want your kids to have access to
    6. Move those as well

Empty the trash on both of those vaults

Setting things up for the kids

For any items that you want your kids to have access to, you'll want to put them in the Shared vault. Everyone unconditionally gets full access to the Shared vault.

Once you've done this, you should be ready to invite your kids. Everyone in the family will have their own Personal vault that only they have access to. You and your wife will share the new vault you just created, and everyone in the family will have access to the Shared vault.

Let us know how this goes.

Rick

• RCMjr
    RCMjr
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick,

I was able to create the new Vault and share that with my wife. That part is done and I'll work on the kids' vault over the weekend.

I do have some issues, however, that I hope you can help me with.

In the browser:
    When I click on Admin Console, I see three Vaults: C&A (for my wife and me), Personal, and Shared. C&A shows that it has 132 items in it, which is correct. Both Personal and Shared have zero items. Personal was created on Jan 4 and last updated on Feb 3 - just a few minutes ago. Shared was created on Jan 31 and last updated Never.

If I click on the Personal vault, everything is grayed out, as expected because there aren’t any items in it. The same is true for Shared, with the only difference being I have a Delete Vault option on this screen, but I don’t have that option on the Personal Vault screen.

On the Mac:
    I have the following Vaults: Primary and Mom with a line separating three others and those are all under a heading called Morris Family with my picture next to it. The other three vaults are Personal, C&A, Shared.

Personal has 140 items in it, C&A has 132, and Shared has zero.

On my iPhone 7:
    I have three vaults: Personal, C&A, and Shared. The only one that has any items in it is C&A with 132.

I’m assuming that the Mom vault does not show up because I created that before I got on the Family Plan and I’ll have to create a new vault and move things over. Is that correct?

I want to end up with three vaults: Mom, C&A, and Shared.

I hope all of this makes sense and that I’m not overloading you with information. I’m trying to paint the best picture I can so you have an idea of what I’m seeing.

Thanks.

Chip

• Frank
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi @RCMjr - I'm glad Rick was able to help out. I appreciate the additional details and I'll do my best to answer your questions below:

• Yes the Personal Vault can't be deleted, it's a permanent vault. Sorry for the inconvenience there.

• As far as the "Mom" vault, you can create a new vault via the web and name it "Mom" then it will be synced over to your Mac. Once the new "Mom" vault has been added to your Mac, you can then migrate over the data from the original vault using the guide below -

https://support.1password.com/move-share-items/#to-move-items-in-the-apps

• Once all of your existing data has been moved over to the new (Family) vaults you can delete the original local vaults on your Mac. You will have to delete all secondary local vaults first before you can remove your Primary vault.

Let me know if you have any additional questions, I'll be happy to help out :-)

• RCMjr
    RCMjr
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I'm almost there.

I did what Frank suggested and I'm now down to four vaults: Personal, C&A, Mom, and Shared. Each of those vaults has some information in them, as I've listed below.

All vaults has 136 items (obviously, it's the sum of C&A, Mom, and Shared)
    Personal has 140 items (why is this contain more items that aren't tallied in All vaults?)
    C&A has 120 items
    Mom has 14 items
    Shared has 2 items

Do I need to keep anything in my Personal vault? If I delete all the items am I also deleting them from C&A? I want C&A to be the #1 vault and that's where I had planned on putting all of my information. I understand that I can't delete the Personal vault, but can I have it empty?

When I pull up my extension on either Chrome or Safari, can I get that to default to C&A?

You guys have both been a big help.

Chip

• RCMjr
    RCMjr
    Community Member
    Options

New issue. I went to log in tonight and I see that my account has been frozen because my trial ran out. But, I signed up for the Family Plan a couple of days ago. Did it not go through? I don't mind doing it again, I just don't want to be charged twice.

Please help.

Thanks.

Chip

• @RCMjr Thanks for the update!

Personal has 140 items (why is this contain more items that aren't tallied in All vaults?)

Is this still the case? I'd be happy to look into the issue, but we'll need to take the conversation to email since this is a public forum and we only discuss account specifics privately. You're welcome to email us at support@1password.com if this is still happening, then post back here with the confirmation number you receive from us and we'll get back to you as quickly as possible.

Do I need to keep anything in my Personal vault? If I delete all the items am I also deleting them from C&A? I want C&A to be the #1 vault and that's where I had planned on putting all of my information. I understand that I can't delete the Personal vault, but can I have it empty?

Deleting items in your Personal vault wouldn't delete them in C&A since they are separate vaults. You can certainly have the Personal vault empty. After you moved things over, you may find that some items are still showing up in the Personal vault, and that's because it's the vault used for saving new items. You can change this to C&A on each of your devices in the All Vaults settings.

New issue. I went to log in tonight and I see that my account has been frozen because my trial ran out. But, I signed up for the Family Plan a couple of days ago. Did it not go through? I don't mind doing it again, I just don't want to be charged twice.

This may also be best to discuss via email, but generally speaking, where did you subscribe? The only place to subscribe to your family account is from your billing page in a browser. If you purchased 1Password in the App Store or got a license, that isn't a subscription but I can help you get things corrected. Hope this helps for now!

• RCMjr
    RCMjr
    Community Member
    Options

I sent an email and received this as my support ID - [#AZY-78616-644].

Thanks.

• Hi RCMjr - Thank you for sending over the support number. I was able to locate your email so let's continue the conversation over there. We'll get back to you shortly. Have a fantastic day!

ref: AZY-78616-644

This discussion has been closed.