I'm using a local folder for 1pw data now; how to switch to using Dropbox without losing data?

cs3User
cs3User
Community Member

I've been using a single Mac, using 1Password for keeping track of my passwords. But now I need to support a second Mac with shared access to those same passwords. I believe the way to start syncing to Dropbox (where I have an account) is 1Password > Preferences > Sync and then use the popup to select Dropbox. But I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE the current passwords I'm using. If I do the above, does 1pw automatically set up the Dropbox file with a copy of what is currently on my Mac under 1pw? This is too important to make an assumption that it will do this right, and not just create a new EMPTY file for 1pw to use under Dropbox ... so I'm asking.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:I'm using a local folder for 1pw data now and want to switch to using Dropbox without losing data

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cs3User,

Thanks for writing in with your question! Don't worry, you won't lose your current data, because the sync file shown in your sync settings (a .agilekeychain or .opvault file) is just a copy of your data. The actual data you see when you open the 1Password app or browser extension is stored in another location on your Mac, and it remains there regardless of whether or not you use the sync options. In fact, even if you deleted the .agilekeychain or .opvault sync file, all that would happen is that the sync settings would become disabled.

If I do the above, does 1pw automatically set up the Dropbox file with a copy of what is currently on my Mac under 1pw?

Yes, that's exactly correct! :)

When you switch from "Folder" to "Dropbox", you'll be asked if you want to delete the sync data from the folder you had been syncing with. That's entirely up to you, and won't make a difference for your actual data in 1Password. A new sync file will be created in Dropbox once you've enabled that.

I hope that helps, but please let us know if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.