Unable to open 1password app from new computer, it says wrong password , using Master PW.

lyonsrl
lyonsrl
Community Member

New computer have family license.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Unable to open 1password app from new computer, it says "wrong password", using Master PW

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lyonsrl,

I'm sorry you're having trouble getting 1Password set up on a new Mac!

It looks like you sync 1Password via Dropbox. When you launch the 1Password 6 app on your new Mac, are you choosing the option for Dropbox and then selecting your sync file (.agilekeychain or .opvault) from your Dropbox folder? If so, is that when it asks for (and rejects) your master password? And does that same master password work to unlock 1Password on another device?

On the other hand, if something different is happening on the new Mac, please let us know the exact steps you're taking and what happens when you do that, and we should have a better idea of how to help you get things working. Thanks!

• lyonsrl
    lyonsrl
    Community Member

Thank you, the problem on the new computer is, that it won't even let me open the app.

• lyonsrl
    lyonsrl
    Community Member

The other devices are fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lyonsrl: Did you setup 1Password for Mac with a different vault/password — perhaps previously, when using the trial? Unless you set it up from the start with the same one, it may be different. Where do you have your 1Password data currently?

• lyonsrl
    lyonsrl
    Community Member

I'm pretty sure I did not use a trial version on the new computer.
    I am not sure how to find where the data is stored, I would think on my main laptop or dropbox??

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lyonsrl,

I am not sure how to find where the data is stored, I would think on my main laptop or dropbox??

Your data is stored locally on each Mac and iOS device, when you open the 1Password app, it reads that locally-stored data. The data stored in Dropbox is a copy of your data which is used to sync changes between your devices.

It's difficult to know for sure what's going on without knowing more specific details about how you set up 1Password on that new Mac and what you see when you open it. (For example, the first time you opened it, were you taken through a setup process where you chose to sync your data from Dropbox, or did it immediately ask for a master password?) But either way, if you have all your latest data in 1Password on your other devices, you can simply reset the 1Password app on your new Mac and set it up again by syncing with Dropbox:

1. Open 1Password on the new Mac and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data.
    2. After following the on-screen instructions, open 1Password again - this time you should see the 'Welcome' screen.
    3. Select Dropbox (under "Used 1Password before?"), click the Choose File button, and select your sync file from Dropbox.

Once you do that, you should be prompted for the same master password you use on your other devices. Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• lyonsrl
    lyonsrl
    Community Member

You Guys are AWESOME! It worked, re-set and everything seems good to go!
    Thank You
    Rick

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news! You're very welcome, I'm glad to hear it's working correctly for you now. Thanks for letting us know!

Hopefully you're all set now, but we're here for you if you need more help. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.