Clicking on Chrome extension opens new tab and looks for 1Password application

Options

I use 1P on both my Macbook Pro and iMac. Lately when I click the 1P extension in Chrome, instead of filling in the password for that page, a new tab will open that says "Looking for 1Password application". It then finds the application and says "ready to use". Trouble is this happens multiple times in a single browsing session, not just after I've installed 1P for the first time.

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• vcassist
    vcassist
    Community Member
    Options

This has been happening for me as well. I think this usually occurs if you are using the extension right after the computer wakes from sleep. Would like to have someone from Agilebits to acknowledge this issue. El Capitan 10.11.5, appears Firefox 50.0

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @switters,

I'm sorry to hear the 'welcome' window keeps opening in Chrome when you use the 1Password extension! I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your message to our Saving and Filling in Browsers forum.

First, please make sure you've installed the latest version of Chrome by going to Chrome > About Google Chrome in the menu bar. The latest stable version is currently 56.0.2924.87 - if the 'About' window finds an update, it should download it and give you the option to relaunch Chrome to complete the update process.

Next, check to see if the latest 1Password extension is installed in Chrome, as we just released a new update. In Chrome, go to Window > Extensions and find 1Password in the list. The latest version is currently 4.6.3.90 - if an older version is still installed, click the "Update extensions now" button near the top of that page. Then quit & relaunch Chrome and try the extension again. Does it still open the 'welcome' page?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vcassist,

It sounds like you're experiencing a slightly different problem if it only seems to happen once when waking your Mac from sleep, but the solution might be the same as what I suggested above: update your browser, and update the 1Password extension.

The latest stable version of Firefox is currently 51.0.1. To install it, go to Firefox > About Firefox in the menu bar, and the window that opens should find and start downloading the update. When it's finished, it will ask you to relaunch Firefox.

Once you've done that, please open Firefox and go to Tools > Add-Ons. Click More next to the 1Password extension to see the version. The latest is currently 4.6.3, and if it still shows an older version, simply click the 'gear' icon at the top of that window and choose "Check for Updates". Once it installs available updates, you may need to close & reopen the Add-ons window to verify that 4.6.3 is now installed.

Please let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• switters
    switters
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG

I have the latest version of Chrome and version 4.6.3.90 of the 1P extension.

I'm not experiencing the welcome window issue today, so far, but it seems to be sporadic. I'll report if it happens again.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@switters We did make some improvements to how some routine interruptions between the 1Password extension and main application are handled with 4.6.3.90. If you use Fast User Switching in particular with Chrome, you should see marked improvements. Let us know if you have any other issues.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• vcassist
    vcassist
    Community Member
    Options

So far so good. No recurrence of the issue since browser updates. Thank you 1Password Dev team.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vcassist,

That's great to hear :smile: It took a while to pin it all down and I think there are still internal improvements we could make but it felt like it was going to greatly reduce the impact of this. It was one of those things though that only the real world testing from those afflicted was going to be the truly telling answer.

This discussion has been closed.