File Attachments

Annamarie Pluhar
Annamarie Pluhar
Community Member

Just want to verify what I think is true. Once a file is put into 1PW as an attachment in a secure note , I can delete it from the folder where it was when I attached it?

I'm putting a scanned copy of my will and Power of Attorney in 1PW don't really want it otherwise on my computer.

Thanks for a great product!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:attach file

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@Annamarie Pluhar:

Just want to verify what I think is true. Once a file is put into 1PW as an attachment in a secure note , I can delete it from the folder where it was when I attached it?

Yes, that is correct. You don't need to retain any other copy. Any time you need the copies you can simply drag them from 1Password to the Desktop (and even then 1Password retains copies in 1Password).

Stephen

• Annamarie Pluhar
    Annamarie Pluhar
    Community Member

Great! Thanks..

• Great to see that Stephen managed to answer that for you. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to let us know.

Rick

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member

@rickfillion With regards these downloaded attachments are they secure whilst residing locally on your disk? What folder are they in? I have recently migrated from AB's servers to iCloud, moving from a Personal to Primary Vault. I downloaded some attachments from AB servers and then re-attached them to my 1P records, if I delete all the files in the downloaded attachments folder will I accidentally delete the current records in my Primary Vault?

• @steve23094 : when the documents are downloaded from our server to your disk, they're stored encrypted on disk. When you click to view them or show them in finder they get decrypted into a temp folder that should get automatically deleted upon reboot.

You can view the location of the decrypted file by using the Reveal in Finder menu item. The encrypted location will depend on whether you're using the Mac App Store version of the app or the AgileBits Store version as they have their own data locations.

Rick

• rickfillion
    edited March 2017

if I delete all the files in the downloaded attachments folder will I accidentally delete the current records in my Primary Vault

The attachments in the Primary vault would be stored on disk as .blob and .blob2 files next to the database. As long as you don't delete those you should be fine.

Rick

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member

@rickfillion Thanks for that. I'm using the AB store version. What is the location of the temp folder where they are stored so I can double check they got deleted on reboot correctly?

• @steve23094 : the best way to find that out is to get one decrypted then ask the app to show it to you in Finder. We use a path based on NSTemporaryDirectory() which can change some parts of the path so it's not hardcoded and I can't just give you my own path.

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member

@rickfillion I have migrated from AB servers to syncing via iCloud. I had previously downloaded all my attachments from the AB servers and re-attached them. Will the folder be the same?

• @steve23094 : in the case of decrypted files, yes it looks like they should both be living at the same place:

[NSURL fileURLWithPath:[NSTemporaryDirectory() stringByAppendingPathComponent:@"com.agilebits.Attachments.noindex"]];

This discussion has been closed.