safari extension not opening. Don't have account key, can't get in to 1password

Options

I can't get in to 1password anymore. My previous extension stopped working and had a red #1 in the right hand corner. I read all the forum posts and uninstalled and re-installed the extensions, but it still won't work. It looks like the extension is installed, because the new icon is on the toolbar, but when I try to click it, it opens to a webpage that says "safari can't open the specified address". In the past I could simply put in my master password and open safari. It's not working. I also don't have an account key. I never copied it from my account, so I have no way of accessing my passwords. Please help!!

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.2.4-3
OS Version: 10.0.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:safari extension not working

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi @beaug,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the 1Password extension in Safari! I've moved your message to our Saving and Filling in Browsers forum. I hope you don't mind!

You said you're using version 4.2.4 of the extension, but that's a much older version that was released about two and a half years ago. Can you please double-check the extension version in Safari? Just go to Safari > Preferences in the menu bar, then select the Extensions tab. Find 1Password in the list of extensions and click once on it, and you'll see the version number on the right. If the version is lower than 4.6.2, you should see Updates near the lower left corner of that window - click that, then click the Update button for the 1Password extension.

Alternately, you can uninstall the 1Password extension first, and then reinstall it. To reinstall it, go to the menu for Safari > Safari Extensions..., and if 1Password is listed at the top, click on that (if not, you can search for it in the 'Search' field). Then click the Install now link.

I also don't have an account key. I never copied it from my account, so I have no way of accessing my passwords.

You would only have an Account Key if you have a 1Password.com account, which is a new service we introduced in 2016. If you haven't signed up for an account on 1Password.com, you don't have (and don't need) an Account key. Are you being asked to enter it somewhere?

• beaug
    beaug
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - I just checked and my version is 4.6.2. I still can't get it to open up. When I hit the logo on the toolbar it opens up a webpage that says couldn't connect to 1password. For a second, there is another page that flashes on and off - it is something with a purple box on the right side. It flashes very quickly and then is gone. I tried to go to the website for 1password so that maybe I could log in there and retrieve all of my usernames and passwords, but on the website it asks for an Account Key, which I don't have. Please help. I am locked out of everything.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @beaug. As Drew said, you won't have an account key if you didn't create an account with our new hosted service. For now, though, can you simply check that you have the main 1Password application installed? If so, are you able to open it and access your data?

If you continue to have trouble or you'd like us to take a closer look at the situation, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Thanks for your patience and assistance while we work with you on this.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• beaug
    beaug
    Community Member
    Options

I followed all of the above instructions, but never received the support id number from the bitbot. Please let me know if you can locate the email and diagnostics report. Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @beaug,

Thank you for letting us know you have sent in an email. I've managed to locate it and somebody will be in touch as soon as we've reviewed the diagnostic report.

ref: TPM-56589-639

This discussion has been closed.