cant update

skotch
skotch
Community Member
edited February 2017 in Mac

while trying to update my 1password it does not complete the update and says "an error occurred while extracting the archive - i have tried several time but still the same result

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:while trying to update my 1password it does not complete the update and says "an error occurred while extracting the archive - i have tried several time but still the same result

Comments

• skotch
    skotch
    Community Member

Version 3.8.20 (build 31499)
    OS X El Cap 10.11.6 (15G31)

• Hi @skotch,

Can you be more specific about how you're trying to perform the update? Are you manually downloading it from our website, or are you using the updater within 1Password 3?

I recommend that you update to 1Password 6 as well as a 1Password.com account if you're using El Capitan. It'll provide you the best experience.

Rick

• skotch
    skotch
    Community Member

i am using the updater within 1P
    Is there a fee to get 1P 6?

• @skotch : 1Password 6 is a paid upgrade, yes. The 1Password.com accounts come in a few different sizes. You can learn more about them at https://1password.com/. With 1Password.com accounts you'll get access to all future updates to the Mac app at no additional charge, as well as the apps for the other platforms as well (iOS, Windows, Android).

It's been many years since we've shipped any updates to 1Password 3. While it keeps working when run on the older operating systems, the last few OS X/macOS updates have started to affect it negatively. Assumptions that were once true and relied upon are getting changed over time. Due to its age, we are not in a position to do updates to it, and if you're running a more modern operating system our recommendation is to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

Rick

• skotch
    skotch
    Community Member

Rick,
    Thanks but I do not want to upgrade to 1P 6.
    Are you saying that there is no way to make my original purchased program extension work on my chrome browser?
    Thanks,
    Jim

• @skotch : The 1Password 3 browser extension, which you can get here : https://agilebits.com/extensions/mac/ should be installable and work in the latest version of Chrome still. You may find that after installing you find that it says "Connecting…" and a counter that just keeps going up. If it does this, then you'll need to restart your computer, after which it should work.

As for how to install the latest version of 1Password for Mac 3 goes, you should be able to download it from our downloads page here : https://agilebits.com/downloads . Near the bottom there's a section labeled Legacy which includes 1Password 3.8.22 that you can download and install.

Rick

• skotch
    skotch
    Community Member

Thanks Rick - trying to update my 1P 3 for mac for my El Cap OS - at the bottom of the download page link you sent I only see a Knox for El Cap -
    the 1P downloads are for
    OS X 10.9 Mavericks and 10.8 Mountain Lion
    1Password 4.4.3
    AND
    OS X 10.7 Lion and 10.6 Snow Leopard
    1Password 3.8.22
    I downloaded Knox but I dont even know what that is...
    I still need the download for El Cap...
    thanks for your continued help
    Jim

• skotch
    skotch
    Community Member

Rick? Can you help with my last comment question?

• @skotch,

If you're sticking with 1Password 3 then the only version available is 3.8.22. Its the version that indicates compatibility with Lion and Snow Leopard in that list that @rickfillion linked you to. There aren't any further updates as development of that version ceased a long time ago. That said, 1Password 3 isn't entirely compatible with El Capitan and there are a number of known issues with it under that OS. 1Password 6 is the currently supported version that is compatible with El Capitan.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.