Change icon for items imported from another passed manager

dieselsmoke1967
dieselsmoke1967
Community Member

Hello. I just downloaded 1Password for Mac and followed the instructions to convert all my items from another password manager (mSecure). All items successfully imported into 1Password, but they all now have the same icon - the little notepad. I would like to change the icons to something that more closely matches each item, such as a credit card symbol, a dollar sign "$" for banking related items, etc.. Is there a way to be able to edit an imported item and change its icon to use one of the built in icons that I could choose from when creating a brand new item in 1Password?

Thank you.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Sadly that's not possible, because as the team put it here, different icons have different default fields which would make it hard to easily convert between them without losing information. To be clear, they aren't just different icons, but are entirely different presets.

If you really don't want to convert, you could get a similar icon that you're happy with, hit edit on the document, and then double click the icon to upload a new one. It's not perfect, but I can't see an alternative for now without manually going through and changing each of the items already created within your vault.

• dieselsmoke1967
    dieselsmoke1967
    Community Member

Ok, at least now I know. Much appreciated.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@dieselsmoke1967 ,

Can you tell me how you converted ?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dieselsmoke1967,

Congratulations on switching to 1Password! :) I just wanted to clarify that (as oliverdunk mentioned), the problem isn't with the icons of your items - instead, the problem is that all your items were imported as Secure Notes. From your description, many or most of your items would fit better in one of the other item categories (like Logins, Credit Cards, Bank Accounts, and so on).

It might be possible to reimport your data into the correct categories, which is why MrC asked about how you converted - he's an expert on importing data into 1Password from other apps and might be able to help you with that. :)

• dieselsmoke1967
    dieselsmoke1967
    Community Member

Hi MrC, Drew,

Thank you. I used the Perl script importer from the AgileBits web site. All my entries from mSecure did indeed end up as Secure Notes. Over the last few nights, I have actually manually created entirely new entries in 1Password, based on the imported entries. It was actually a good exercise, as it helped me learn a good bit about the fields and characteristics of each type of item in 1Password.

I should pass along to you and the developers, that the nerd in me absolutely loves that if you enter a URL for an item, if possible, 1Password will use the logo or other distinguishing symbol from the web site associated with the item, as he icon for that item. That's awesome :-D

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dieselsmoke1967,

It sounds like you used the data converters described here: https://support.1password.com/import/#if-you-can-t-use-the-built-in-importers

Those were developed by @MrC who might be able to help you re-import your data if you'd like to try that (I've pinged him here to make sure he sees your post). But I'm glad to hear you found it helpful to manually re-create some of those items in the correct categories - you're right, it's definitely a good way to familiarize yourself with item types and fields in 1Password!

Thank you for your kind words about the rich icons feature! We love hearing feedback like this, and I will make sure to forward your comments to our developers. :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@dieselsmoke1967 ,

mSecure allows you to redefine its "types" or "categories". When this is done by users, the converter cannot know the semantics (meaning) of a row of data in the CSV export. Its easy enough to teach the converter of your changes, but you and I would need to work together to accomplish that. But it sounds like you are already done with your process. In case you do desire some assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

Enjoy 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dieselsmoke1967: Indeed, and we're here if you have any questions about 1Password as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.