Layout issues related to font and localization...

chinnnki
chinnnki
Community Member
edited February 2017 in Mac

Hi there.

I've been encountering several layout issues since my first use (version 6 and above), which I think should be fixed.

1. When the item list is set on the left, the titles of the items are displayed in Helvetica (or Neue), while rest of the texts in the app are all shown in the new San Francisco font. They ARE shown in SF when the list is set at the top though.
  2. When the system language is set to Japanese, text strings which have not been translated can be seen here and there, in the app, mini, and also in the browser extension. It causes confusion at times. Is it possible to add a language-switch option? Otherwise I think you can simply use the English localization.
  3. (Still) when the system language is Japanese, texts for the buttons "Regenerate" and "Fill" (maybe some others too) are aligned to the top of the buttons, rather than in the middle.

Pls check.

Thanks!
chinnnki

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chinnnki: First of all, thank you for taking the time to share this feedback! :)

When the item list is set on the left, the titles of the items are displayed in Helvetica (or Neue), while rest of the texts in the app are all shown in the new San Francisco font. They ARE shown in SF when the list is set at the top though.

Good catch! I doubt many people notice that! This is a bit of a holdover from earlier OS versions, since San Francisco has only recently become the macOS system font. We use custom UI in some places, whereas others are standard system text views. When 1Password 6 was designed for Yosemite originally, we had used Helvetica intentionally in places to match the system. Of course, now there's a bit of a mismatch with later versions of macOS, so as we develop the next version of 1Password we'll take care to make it more consistent. There are a lot of things like this we'd like to tighten up. ;)

When the system language is set to Japanese, text strings which have not been translated can be seen here and there, in the app, mini, and also in the browser extension. It causes confusion at times. Is it possible to add a language-switch option? Otherwise I think you can simply use the English localization.

The language settings are inherited from macOS itself, so there isn't an way to select another language in 1Password. I'm sorry that our Japanese localization is incomplete. It's something we'll work to improve, but we just don't have any native Japanese speakers on staff currently. If you'd like, you can contribute to the localization on Crowdin. And I'll keep working to improve my Japanese so I can help with that too. :blush:

(Still) when the system language is Japanese, texts for the buttons "Regenerate" and "Fill" (maybe some others too) are aligned to the top of the buttons, rather than in the middle.

Ah, you're right. The space there is a slightly better fit for the English text, でも日本語にはちょっと短いですね。I think you could probably give a lot more examples too, as this is just one instance where things don't scale perfectly depending on the language. I know German is pretty notorious for being difficult un this regard, since they have a lot of really, really long words. By all means, let us know if there are other things you notice that we can improve!

• chinnnki
    chinnnki
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for your reply! I'll work on the Japanese localization when time allows.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

That's great! And likewise, thank you! I think you'll be more pleased with the results rather than my own efforts. hehe

This discussion has been closed.