Ran installer, but no app available

lancerf18
lancerf18
Community Member

I have a new MacBook with OS Sierra. I downloaded the app from your website and ran the installer. It seemed to go through the whole installation process and then it gave the confirmation screen at the end, but then when I go to the applications folder its not there. did it 3 times - all the same.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:installation

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lancerf18,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble finding the 1Password app after the installation! There are a couple different folders named "Applications" on macOS, so let's make sure you're looking in the correct one:

The installer will put 1Password 6.app into the Applications folder in the top level of your hard drive: Macintosh HD/Applications/

There's another Applications folder located in your Mac user folder: Macintosh HD/Users/[your Mac username]/Applications/ You won't find the 1Password app there.

If you're looking in the main Applications folder but don't see the 1Password 6 app there, try using Spotlight on your Mac to search for "1Password 6.app". Does that find it? If so, you can open it from there, then right-click the 1Password icon in the Dock and go to Options > Show in Finder to see where it's located on your Mac.

Please let us know how it goes and what you find. Thanks! :)

• jtmmartino@
    jtmmartino@
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem after installing Sierra and upgrading to 1Password 6.5.3. It goes through the installation process but the app can't be found anywere (I've searched my entire hard drive. It's been a week and I still haven't gotten any reply from AgileBits. This is a real problem since I can't access any of my accounts!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

Hi @jtmmartino@,

That's really strange, I'm not sure why the app would be missing if the installation seemed to work correctly. Did you have a previous version of 1Password installed before installing Sierra? If so, that might have something to do with the problem, although I don't know why the older version would now be missing as well.

To help us figure out what's going on, we'll need you to email us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac. But first, you mentioned this:

It's been a week and I still haven't gotten any reply from AgileBits.

How did you contact us? I don't see any other posts from you on our forums. I also took a quick look in our email system, but I didn't find any new messages when I searched for the email address from your forum account (although you might have sent it from a different address). If you sent us an email, did you receive an automated response from the BitBot assistant? If so, please let us know the support ID from that email so we can track your message. If you didn't get an automated response from BitBot, that probably means we never received your email.

If you emailed us, and if you happened to include a diagnostics report with that email, we should be able to find it as long as we received it. But if you didn't send a diagnostics report or if we didn't receive it, please create one by following the steps here: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

ref: GUL-44143-327

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jtmmartino@,

We were able to find the email you sent us, and I see that Andrew has been helping you with this problem today. In his most recent reply, he also asked you for a diagnostics report. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid creating any confusion between here and there. Cheers! :)

• jtmmartino@
    jtmmartino@
    Community Member

Well, I sent an email and got an automated reply about a week ago. I also re-sent that email when I wrote this question and one of the support staff did get back to me. We determined that the problem was that I had older copies of 1P on some external backup drives. When we ran the app from a downloaded .zip file, bypassing the installer, I did get messages that 1P mini couldn't be accessed due to multiple copies. Dismounting those drive and trashing older copies on my main drive ultimately allowed the usual installer to work properly.

Whatever your developers did to create this problem of not being able to install or even launch 1P when a backup copy is on another drive is really wrong and needs to be fixed. In all my years using hundreds of apps, I’ve never come across this problem – not even with earlier versions of 1P. Also, it would really be a help if you could put something about this in your support knowledgebase or forum, so we don’t have to spend a week searching for a solution until you guys can get back to us. This experience has made me very leary of entrusting all my passwords to this app.

Meanwhile, thank you for getting back to me.

Janet

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

Hi @jtmmartino@,

I'm very happy to hear Andrew was able to help you with this! Thanks for following up here to summarize that, as it might be helpful for others who are having a similar issue and find this discussion.

I noticed your second paragraph is the same as the one from your last email response. As Andrew explained, problems caused by having multiple copies of the 1Password app have been around for a while now, but the issues don't always happen to everyone consistently. I absolutely agree that it needs to be fixed! However, it basically comes down to a part of the operating system which we have no control over and must be addressed on the OS level. This doesn't affect many apps because not many apps are running two separate components at the same time (i.e. the main 1Password app and 1Password mini).

I don't believe we have documentation about the specific situation that happened on your Mac, but we do have information about some of the more common problems that can happen due to having extra copies of the 1Password app: If you see "extra copies of 1Password found"

Hopefully everything continues to work properly for you from now on, but if you have more questions or run into more trouble with 1Password, please don't hesitate to let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.