greggsewell1
greggsewell1
Community Member
edited February 2017 in Mac

I have 1Password installed on the following devices:

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)
2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB RAM
Safari Technology preview, Release 22 (Safari 10.2, WebKit 12604.1.4.2)
1Password extension (4.6.2)

iPhone SE
64 GB
iOS 10.3
1Password 6.5.1 App Store

iPad Pro 12.9-inch
128 GB
iOS 10.3
1Password 6.5.1 App Store

I have an individual account through the iOS and Mac App Stores.

I don't have a Family or Teams account.

Here's what I did that caused my problem, which is described in the sequence of steps below.

1. Changed my Apple ID password within 1Password on my iPhone.

2. Synced the change with my iPad.

3. Opened 1Password Mini on my iMac. The new password wasn't there.

4. Opened 1Password.app.

5. Looked for sync options. Couldn't find them.

6. Searched your support forums.

7. Found an article instructing me to turn on "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" and did that.

8. Was able to set up syncing with Dropbox.

9. Discovered I now have a trial 1Password.com account, which I do not want.

10. Discovered I now have two vaults.

11. 1Password Mini now has duplicate entries for all my passwords.

12. Checked and discovered that syncing had completed.

13. Checked my Apple ID password in each vault separately. It hasn't been updated on my iMac but is updated on my iPhone and iPad.

Searching your support forum turns up only ways to copy or move items between vaults.

I realize that I've created this problem, not you, AgileBits.

I don't want two vaults.

I don't want a 1Password subscription.

I just want my data to be the same on all my devices.

Please help me get back to a 1Password individual license with a single vault with no duplicate entries that syncs between my iMac, iPhone, and iPad.

Please help me cancel my trial subscription.

Thanks for your help.

Gregg

1Password Version: 6.5.3 (653001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.6.2 Safari Technology Preview
OS Version: macOS 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• A few suggestions:

• Your trial subscription can be cancelled by either leaving it to expire, or if you'd like to delete the account, by heading to your online profile and following the steps detailed there.
    • With regards to moving back to a single vault, my initial thinking would be that you'd want to decide on a new 'host' with the most up to date data, transfer anything which does not exist, and then work on resyncing this to a clean version of all of your other apps.

However, the second step is somewhere where I'm a little unclear. It'd be great if you someone from the AgileBits team could look into it and provide some more details.

• greggsewell1
    greggsewell1
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply, oliverdunk. I'll hold off till someone from AB responds, but I appreciate your suggestions.

• @greggsewell1,

@oliverdunk is mostly correct in his statements.

I would certainly evaluate the most recently touched items and determine if any of them had been modified on the other devices and get those items synced into the common data source (at this point its probably the 1P.com account trial). Then on the machine that you're looking to switch back to the old way of synchronizing would be to open 1Password and:

1. Open the Preferences window
    2. Click the Advanced tab
    3. Turn on "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password.com accounts"
    4. Follow the prompts to create a Primary vault
    5. Click the 1Password menu
    6. Choose Switch to vault -> Personal
    7. Select All
    8. Click the Item menu
    9. Choose Share -> Primary -> Move (or Copy if the account is already frozen)
    10. In the Prefs window click the Accounts tab
    11. choose that account from the list and sign out
    12. click the Sync tab and configure your primary vault to sync to iCloud or Dropbox or Folder
    13. on each of the other devices you'll want to rest the 1Password instance in order to set it up fresh with your configured sync option. (Mac: Help -> Troubleshooting -> Rest all 1Password data, iOS: Settings -> Advanced -> Erase All 1Password data)
    14. launch 1Password on those devices, and from the first run screen you'll want to choose your specific sync method in order to connect it to that sync source.

Rudy

• greggsewell1
    greggsewell1
    Community Member

Thanks, Rudy. I'll do all of this and report back.

I'm no developer, but I do appreciate the gargantuan task of writing code that has even heard whispers of syncing, much less actually doing it. That said, I speak as an end user who wonders why it can't be a little simpler.

We're all trained to want Amazon's 1-Click purchasing ease for everything, I know, and cloud syncing across multiple devices and OS platforms—well, as I said, I can't begin to understand the Gordian knot that stuff must be.

Here's hoping AB can one day offer something less daunting and perhaps more intuitive when it comes to syncing and merging vaults, etc.

Thanks again!

Gregg

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Rudy, you're quite welcome! And I'm sorry you ran into these problems in the first place. This should all be much easier for anyone who starts off using a 1Password.com subscription account, because the sync happens automatically with no settings to configure, other than to simply sign into the account from the 1Password app on each device.

In your case, it sounds like you were using a 1Password.com account on your Mac but not on your iOS devices, so they weren't able to sync with each other, which resulted in you adding a new local/Primary vault on your Mac, duplicating your items between the two vaults, and so on. That's definitely confusing! It's not a situation most customers will end up in, but we certainly don't want anyone accidentally ending up that way, so we're trying our best to clear up the confusion. We appreciate your feedback!

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.