How to get backup off of website?

lithigin
lithigin
Community Member

I'm new to this, trying to get this to work and aggravated that this supposed magical software has taken at least 15 hours just to get passwords imported without duplicates into the proper vaults, and get this nearly functional before we can start making our PW more secure.

On this laptop, I am running Mac OS 10.9.5 and couldn't figure out why extension doesn't work. I then downloaded 1Password version 4. However, in trying to install it, it doesn't do the QR reader thing to log into my account. I don't use iCloud or Dropbox. This Mac and Restore from Backup, as well all the documentation about restoring from backup presumes I have a backup. It tells me how to export from backup using a File menu, which sounds like from the downloaded program. Which I'm trying to log into. I have 600 passwords and a half dozen vaults on this web version; how do I get them off of the site?

I've been reading this documentation for nearly an hour and it's all self-referential. "You don't need a backup; there's a better way!" "Just log in to your account!" But I can't log in without a backup, so what am I supposed to do here?

https://support.1password.com/new-device/

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: 10.9.5
Sync Type: laptop

Comments

• Hi,

The confusion seems to be between the two ways 1Password currently supports syncing:

• If your logins are stored in a local vault (which doesn't seem to be the case), a backup is needed from either another device or a backup file specifically. This is the only option in 1Password 4 as it isn't until 1Password 6 that accounts were added.
    • If your logins are in the web interface (which seems to be your scenario), you need to install 1Password 6 rather than 1Password 4 and you should then be able to use the barcode to login. This will transfer over your account key, and you'll then need to input your Master Password so that the data can be decrypted and synced.

Hope this helps. If you've got any more questions, I'll try to help.

• lithigin
    lithigin
    Community Member

Thanks, Oliver. On this OX, 1Password 6 doesn't work. Am I to understand that i then cannot even use 1Password on this laptop? That renders 1Password not usable on other machines if I can't update the passwords since this laptop won't catch them. I'm a little surprised that in the week or two that I've been reading the Getting Started and other documentation I've found no mention of these synching methods and their ramifications. I hope an AgileBits person can chime in with another direction that I can take. In the meantime, I'll take a look to see if this machine can take the new OS.

• lithigin
    lithigin
    Community Member

Sorry, OS X. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lithigin,

Sorry for any confusion about that! You are correct: 1Password 4 for Mac is an older version that does not support 1Password.com accounts, and 1Password 6 for Mac requires OS X/macOS 10.10 or higher.

1Password 4 was first released in October 2013, and was last updated in October 2014 (shortly before we released 1Password 5). We released 1Password 6 for Mac in January 2016, and then began to introduce 1Password.com accounts after that. So previous versions of 1Password will not be able to sync with your account on 1Password.com.

Are you able to update your older Macs to a newer OS? Let us know what you find out about that, thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.