1password extension intermittently will not open in Safari

glumpk
glumpk
Community Member

My 1password browser extension will sporadically not open in Safari. The icon is always visible on my safari toolbar, but sometimes when I click on it, it works and sometimes nothing happens.

My workaround to this problem is:
- go to safari -> preferences -> extensions tab
- uncheck the 1password extension (to disable it) and then recheck the 1password extension to re-enable it
- the 1password extension will then open successfully
- I then need to reload the current web-page since 1password extension initially doesn't recognize which password to auto-fill for any webpage that was open before I re-enabled the 1password extension.

This has been happening for a few months. I keep thinking that an upgrade is going to fix this, but no such luck. I also haven't seen anyone with similar symptoms on the forum. I was not able to identify a specific upgrade which caused this behavior.

I have tried to do some of the obvious things to fix this: I have upgraded current version of extension, and I've tried the beta version of the extension -- same results. (I haven't tried other browsers though). I do not have any other safari extensions on this machine.

I have not been able to discern a pattern in the 1password extension behavior. That is, the 1password seems to be randomly disabled at different times of the day, whether I've been using safari for a while or just starting. The only thing that I've observed is that it usually stays 'fixed' for a little while (say, an hour) once I re-enable the extension.

The 1password extension works fine on three other computers (2 macs, 1 windows) with my same 1password account/repository. So the problem is specific to one mac.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• csmoran9
    csmoran9
    Community Member

Hi, glumpk,

since you are saying it is only this device that is being affected, it is likely that it is some issue (script or some other bug within safari) that is causing the extension not to work. Have you tried re-installing safari?

Cheers,
    Conor

• glumpk
    glumpk
    Community Member

Hi Conor - Perhaps you don't use a mac, but Safari is pretty tightly integrated into OSX so this is not a simple suggestion. (you can look by googling 'reinstall safari').

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @glumpk,

When you click the extension icon and nothing happens, do you see the 1Password mini icon in your Mac's menu bar? If so, and if you click on the 1Password mini icon at that point, does it open and suggest a Login item for the website you're viewing?

If you don't see 1Password mini in your Mac's menu bar, please check this setting:

• Open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    • Click the General tab.
    • Make sure the option for "Always keep 1Password Mini running" is enabled.

If that option was disabled, that might help to explain the problem with the extension. On the other hand, if it was already enabled, something might be blocking the connection between the extension and mini. Do you use any antivirus software, proxy server, VPN, or any other extensions in Safari that might block certain connections?

• glumpk
    glumpk
    Community Member

Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, 1Password mini is enabled.

I do have antivirus, proxy, and vpn on this computer (it's a work computer). I have previously ruled out VPN, but I am going to look more closely at the antivirus (which is McAfee Endpoint Security for Mac). When I searched this forum for McAfee issues, it does seem that others have had problems with the McAfee firewall. I will post an update if I can determine any definitive information.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @glumpk,

If mini is enabled, running (i.e. you can see it in your Mac's menu bar), and opens when you click on it, then it sounds like the antivirus software might be the culprit. You can try disabling it temporarily to see if the browser extension works.

Just in case it helps, you might want to check out this support article: How to configure your firewall, proxy, or other network software for 1Password

Let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.