Need to recover AppleID password from local files

arndjan
arndjan
Community Member

Situation is as follows:
I changed the AppleID password and stored it in 1Password but I forgot that it would not sync to iCloud as I had just changed the AppleID password. Then I logged out of my Mac account (Administrator) which also uses my AppleID. So now I am locked out of my AppleID as well as my iMac, and I cannot recover the AppleID password through Apple as I use two-step-authentication and I cannot access the recovery code.

I have succeeded in recovering the local 1Password files from the disk (opening the iMac in target disk mode) and now I need to open those files in 1Password so I can recover the AppleID password that I have stored. So my question is: how do I open the local files in 1Password?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: Sierra
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:appleid lost

Comments

• csmoran9
    csmoran9
    Community Member

Hi arndjan,

Sorry to hear about this situation you have with your passwords. Have you tried recovering them through the password generator? It saves all the passwords you would create using 1Password. Here is a link with instructions on how to use the generator and look up passwords you have stored (https://support.1password.com/recover-unsaved-password/). So if you have stored your latest password as you said using 1Password then it should be there and you then log into Apple ID.

Cheers,
    Conor

• notlad
    notlad
    Community Member

Hi @arndjan,

That's a tough situation to be in! I'm happy to hear you were able to recover some files, though. What extension do those files have? 1Password can import CSV and 1PIF files. Alternatively, you might try opening the files and viewing the data directly.

• arndjan
    arndjan
    Community Member

Hi Conor, thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I cannot log in to my Mac anymore because the account is linked to my Apple ID password. This means that I am not able to launch 1Password to access the stored password or any password that has been generated. I do have access to the 1Password files though. So now I hope to find a way to open those files and access the contents.

• arndjan
    arndjan
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

Hi Dalton, thank you for your reply. The files that I have are what is stored in the ~/Library/Containers folder, more specifically the 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper folder. I wonder if I could load these files into 1Password on my Macbook Pro and unlock their contents using the masterpassword from the locked imac. Do you know if this will work?

• notlad
    notlad
    Community Member

I can't guarantee that replacing the 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper folder on your Macbook Pro with the one you got from you iMac will work, @arndjan, but since you can't recover your AppleID through Apple, it may be your best chance. Before replacing the folder, though, make sure to create a backup of 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper on your Macbook Pro. You don't want to overwrite any data!

• arndjan
    arndjan
    Community Member

Thanks, Dalton, I will make a backup first and then try this approach. Hopefully this will work. If it doesn't I will probably lose all the apps and content I have purchased with my AppleID. Not to mention the hassle of recovering data from the iMac and formatting / reinstalling it.

• @arndjan,

If the data in the 1Password container folder is intact then it should work to copy it to another machine at the same location and launch the same version of 1Password there to access the data.

Let us know if you run into any trouble.

Rudy

• arndjan
    arndjan
    Community Member

Thanks Rudy, I will try this tonight (CET) and will let you know how it goes.

• :+1:

Rudy

• arndjan
    arndjan
    Community Member

It worked. This is great. Saves me a lot of money and a lot of trouble. Lesson learned: never mess with crucial passwords before REALLY thinking it through. Thanks everyone!

• notlad
    notlad
    Community Member

That's great to hear, @arndjan! I'm happy you were able to get it to work :)

• @arndjan,

That's great to hear!

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.