Can't access secondary vault on sync'd devices after changing master password (dropbox)

kevindente
kevindente
Community Member

I created my 1password vaults (2 of them) on a Mac. They were successfully sync'ing via dropbox to a Windows PC and an iPhone. Then I changed my master password on the original Mac. Now none of the other devices can open or sync the secondary vault. The primary still works. Neither the new master password nor the old master password works for opening the secondary vaults on the sync'd devices (the original mac still works fine).

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.3, iOS 10, Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Can't access secondary vault on sync'd devices after changing master password

Comments

• csmoran9
    csmoran9
    Community Member

Hi Kevin,

See as you use dropbox, does this mean you have the 1Password apps and go through drop box but do not have an actual account? I ask because in my search for the fix I notice that if you do no have an account and you use 1password on multiple devices (and you use dropbox to sync) that you will have to update the master password on the rest of your devices. Here is the link to the documentation I saw (https://support.1password.com/change-master-password/). I hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Conor

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kevindente,

If you're using Dropbox to sync those vaults and do not use a 1Password.com account, each of those vaults has its own master password. Did you change the master password of your Primary vault or your secondary vault?

If you changed the master password of your Primary vault, you should now need to enter the new master password to unlock 1Password on your Mac. In that case, on your iPhone, you'll need to unlock 1Password one more time with the old master password and allow the sync with Dropbox to complete. After that, you'll need to unlock it with the new master password.

On the other hand, if you changed the master password of your secondary vault, and if that vault was already syncing with 1Password on your iPhone, you don't need to do anything differently on your iPhone. In the Mac and iOS versions of 1Password, unlocking your Primary vault with its master password will also automatically unlock your secondary vault(s). In other words, you don't need to enter the master password for your secondary vault on your Mac or iPhone (unless you remove that vault from the 1Password app and re-add it again from Dropbox).

Now, this works a bit differently on Windows. Assuming you're using 1Password 4 for Windows, there's no such thing as a "Primary" or "secondary" vault. Each vault is unlocked separately, so when you open a vault, you'll need to enter that vault's own master password. When you open the vault that uses the new master password, simply enter the new master password (no need to enter the old one first).

Does that help? If you're still having some trouble, please let us know the exact steps you took when you changed the master password, which vault you changed, and what happens on your iPhone and Windows PC. Thanks! :)

• kevindente
    kevindente
    Community Member

I changed the master password by going to the 1Password menu, choosing Preferences, then on the Security tab clicking "Change Master Password". The UI gives no hint as to which vault that's changing the password for. I assumed it would change it for both, but maybe not? Assuming I did change it for the primary vault, how do I change it for the secondary? Do I have to switch to whatever specific vault I want to change the password for using the Switch to Vault menu item? Normally I have "All vaults" selected.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @kevindente!

I changed the master password by going to the 1Password menu, choosing Preferences, then on the Security tab clicking "Change Master Password".

If the button in Preferences > Security says "Change Master Password", that's the master password for your Primary vault (which is the one that unlocks the app). That's the option you'll see if you're in the All Vaults view, or if you're specifically viewing the Primary vault.

I assumed it would change it for both, but maybe not?

No, each vault has its own master password. Changing the master password for a vault will only change it for that specific vault. So you only changed the master password for your Primary vault, and your secondary vault still has the same master password as before.

Assuming I did change it for the primary vault, how do I change it for the secondary? Do I have to switch to whatever specific vault I want to change the password for using the Switch to Vault menu item?

Yes, that's correct: switch to your secondary vault, and then go to Preferences > Security. The button will say "Change Password for the "[vault name]" vault".

Sorry for any confusion about that! Please let us know if you have more questions or need more help. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.