Second user on Mac can't change Master Password

yourmapper
yourmapper
Community Member

So I've got a Mac desktop, latest versions of 1Password and MacOS. Two Mac user accounts, me and my wife. We are sharing the same 1Password Application in the Applications folder bought by me from the App Store, and we have a family App Store account with Apple.

We are syncing to our own Dropbox folders, from our own Dropbox accounts, from our own Mac iCloud accounts. All syncs and works fine within our individual Primary vaults. We can't see each other's vaults at all either.

But only I can change the Master Password in Security under Preferences. Her Security tab options are greyed out. Every other setting she can change. She wants to use her own Master Password, instead of using mine which she has from when she first used it. How can she get her own Master Password?

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.5.3 (653001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: macOS 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• csmoran9
    csmoran9
    Community Member

Hi,

Just to make sure I read this correctly, you have only 1, 1Password account that at this time you and your wife share the login credentials but each has your own vault set up within that account. So since you are sharing the app on two different Mac accounts, it is possible that whoever was the primary mac account holder is going to only be the one with access to the master settings for the application.

I have tried to search to see if this is true and this older forum thread is all I could find and in the end may help you ([https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/17743/how-to-share-a-vault-between-two-different-users]). It is a bit long but worth the read as you use dropbox and are more familiar with it. If that does not work, I would suggest that either your wife gets her own individual account which will give her her own master password or you consider getting a family account through 1Password. With the latter option, she can then have her own account but still allow you both to share certain data that you both need access to.

If there is another solution I am sure the AgileBits team will see this and let us know because it would be great for future reference.

Cheers,
    Conor

• yourmapper
    yourmapper
    Community Member

Thanks for the comment but that didn't help.

I would love to do what you suggest and have my wife get her own individual account which will give her her own master password. That's what I'm trying to do, separate the two accounts. Each are in our own login with our own dropbox in their own location. But I'm not able to change her master password.

• yourmapper
    yourmapper
    Community Member

Hi AgileBits, and advice or solutions for this?

• yourmapper
    yourmapper
    Community Member

Good evening! Just checking in again.

• yourmapper
    yourmapper
    Community Member

How is everybody doing? Just looking for a solution for this. Ta.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@yourmapper: Sorry for the delay! Every time you post here, it bumps you to the most recent, and since we try to answer oldest first, I'm just seeing this now. :(

I have to admit that I'm a bit confused by your description so far, so I hope you'll be patient with me as I ask some clarification questions:

1. Are you syncing with Dropbox or iCloud? I know you listed "Dropbox" at the end, but you mentioned both so I don't want to take anything for granted. You may be syncing different vaults with both of those too.
    2. Is the vault in question setup as the Primary in each of your 1Password setups? You can check in Preferences > Sync.
    3. If you're in fact syncing the Primary vault with iCloud in both cases, can you confirm that you're both using the same iCloud login credentials there?
    4. If you're using Dropbox for this shared vault, is it the Primary in both cases? And is it the only vault?
    5. Is the correct vault selected and 1Password unlocked when trying to change the Master Password?

Keep in mind that since you're sharing the same vault, you'll be sharing the Master Password as well. So even if she successfully changes it, you'll need to use that one going forward, since it's being used to encrypt the data and therefore will be needed to decrypt it as well. You could, however, have separate Primary vaults, each with a unique Master Password, and then share a secondary vault between you. The Primary will be used to unlock the app.

Based on your description though, it sounds like 1Password Families might be a better fit, since you'd both have your own account and Master Password, but could still share data between you. If you've purchased the standalone app through the App Store, you won't have an account at all so there just isn't any way to have separate ones with that setup.

I'm not certain that these questions cover all of the possibilities, but they should at least help give a clearer picture of what's going on so we can find a solution for you. I look forward to your reply!

• yourmapper
    yourmapper
    Community Member

Hello thanks for the reply!

Sorry that my daily nagging caused you to miss it. Silly on my part.

To answer your questions... 1) We are each syncing with our own Dropbox accounts. We are logged into our own iCloud accounts for each of our users on the iMac. 2) Yes it's the Primary on both. 3) We aren't using iCloud to sync 1Password. 4) It's the Primary and only vault in both cases. 5) Yes.

So we aren't using the same vault.

But regardless, the issue is now solved! I didn't change a thing since my initial post, but after a few Mac reboots, we are both able to set our own Primary Master Password. Not sure what was the root cause, but solution seemed to be to reboot twice.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@yourmapper: No no. Don't apologize. It's not your fault at all, but the way the system works...and frankly if we were able to answer everyone more quickly we'd have gotten to you as well. You shouldn't have to worry about this, but I wanted to at least offer you an explanation as to why you'd had to wait for so long. :(

I'm glad if I was able to help in some small way though. It sounds like you may be all set, but if you need anything else please let me know. Now that I'm in this discussion at least I'll get notifications any time you reply, so fire away! :blush:

This discussion has been closed.