can't sync iPhone to Macbook Pro.

vina_f
vina_f
Community Member

I have spent over 7 hours today, trying to get my mac to understand that I paid (ok, now). Now when I try to sync my Macbook with my iPhone (unsuccessfully for the last 5 hours), I noticed that my iPhone says "trial"! This is why I haven't upgraded in MANY years. I haven't been able to sync my data in years between these two machines and my iPad and I just gave up. have only been using my iPhone 1Password for years. Now that I've been forced to upgrade in order to retrieve my "Master Password required" passwords, i've been frustrated and I've raged and cried and looked all over everywhere I've been directed by your user forum. I've had 1 password for over 8 years. Please help me to sync my devices.
It my be an issue that I selected Icoud to sync ob my Mac and when I check my old 3.7 1 Password settings to sync, I only get a choice of Dropbox or LAN. I have long thought that was the problem, but my Dropbox password stopped working and I never had the time to figure it out.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• vina_f
    vina_f
    Community Member

I noticed I didn't give my OS versions. 1Password: IPhone most current.
    Mac 10.11.6

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vina_f: Thanks! I'm really sorry for the trouble you're having here. I'm a bit confused about where you're seeing "trial" on your iPhone since the iOS app doesn't have one (the App Store doesn't support "trial" apps). Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Also, from your description, it sounded like you updated to the current version of 1Password for iOS, but then later you specifically mentioned using version 3.7 and having trouble setting up Dropbox. This won't work, as Dropbox discontinued that API years ago (2012?), but if you migrate to the current version that will be able to connect to Dropbox. Let me know where you're at — including the exact OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using — and we'll help you get everything sorted out. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @vina_f,

I apologize for our delayed response here! This all sounds extremely frustrating and I'm sorry you've been having such trouble with 1Password. I'm positive we can help you to get everything back on track!

From your description, there are a few things happening here that are causing problems or confusion. So just to make sure I understand:

I have spent over 7 hours today, trying to get my mac to understand that I paid (ok, now).

I searched in our system for the email address from your forum account and see that you recently upgraded from an old 1Password 3 for Mac license to a 1Password 6 for Mac license. So you should be using 1Password 6 on your Mac now, which is good because 1Password 3 is very old and no longer works well on the most recent versions of the Mac operating system.

It also sounds like you were able to register 1Password 6 for Mac with your new license file (you can confirm that by going to 1Password > License in the menu bar of the main 1Password 6 app).

...I noticed that my iPhone says "trial"!

Your license for the Mac version of 1Password doesn't apply to the iOS version. However, there's no trial version of the 1Password for iOS app. Is it possible you signed up for a 1Password.com account? That's a new subscription service we started last year, and it has a 30 day free trial period - that might be why you're seeing a message about a trial on your iPhone. If you're not sure, please let us know what the 'trial' message says.

Now that I've been forced to upgrade in order to retrieve my "Master Password required" passwords...

It sounds like you're describing a feature of 1Password 3 for iOS. Does that mean you've upgraded to 1Password 6 for iOS on your iPhone? If so, were you able to import the data from 1Password 3 into 1Password 6?

If you have not yet imported data from 1Password 3 to 1Password 6 on your iPhone, you should be able to do that by following our steps here: How to upgrade from 1Password 3 on your iPhone or iPad

It my be an issue that I selected Icoud to sync ob my Mac and when I check my old 3.7 1 Password settings to sync, I only get a choice of Dropbox or LAN.

1Password 3 for iOS didn't have an option to sync with iCloud, as that feature was first added in 1Password 4. The two sync methods in 1Password 3 for iOS were Dropbox and Wi-Fi. However, that version can no longer sync with Dropbox because, back in 2013, Dropbox retired the old API that 1Password 3 for iOS used. Also, the Wi-Fi sync option in 1Password 3 for iOS only worked with 1Password 3 for Mac, and isn't compatible with newer versions.

What you'll need to do (if you haven't already done so) is import the data from 1Password 3 to 1Password 6 on your iPhone (by following the steps in the above link). Once you have your data in 1Password 6 on your iPhone, there are several option for syncing it with your Mac.

I hope this all makes sense and starts to explain the problems you've been having! Once we hear back from you about all that, we'll have a better idea of what you'll need to do next to get things sorted out. Thanks in advance! :)

ref: 1014372

This discussion has been closed.