Which backup file to use/store

dnebannoS
dnebannoS
Community Member

Hi.

I want to backup my 1Password vault file to a NAS. And .. I'm not sure which file to copy.
Should I choose one of those .zip files from the backup tab in the preferences? Or the .opvault created via the sync function (syncing it to a local folder)? What's the difference between the two?

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: Wi-Fi

Comments

• Hi @dnebannoS,

Good question! Short answer is that either would probably work, and you can restore from either.

Longer answer...

OPVault is one of our sync formats. It represents a single vault, its items, folders and attachments. If you're going to back this up to your NAS, I recommend that you backup a copy of it to the NAS as opposed to setting up 1Password to sync to the NAS itself.

The backup .zip files are a backup of the OnePassword.sqlite (and -shm, -wal) database, along with all attachment files. This can represent multiple vaults, and other objects that don't sync like smart folders. It should represent your whole 1Password configuration minus preferences (and accounts, we don't back those up in there).

I hope this helps explain things. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the formats or anything else.

Rick

• dnebannoS
    dnebannoS
    Community Member

Perfect answer, thanks @rickfillion :)
    Since I don't use accounts, multiple vaults or smart folders I guess I will simply (manually) copy the .opvault file ..

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Rick, you're very welcome! Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.