Password works on iMac, iPhone, iPad but not MacBook

inano
inano
Community Member

My password will work on my iMac, iPhone and iPad but not on my MacBook Pro. All syncing with Dropbox.
I have checked that Dropbox finishes syncing. I have even tried transferring the 1Password.agilekeychain file directly from iMac to Macbook.
When I choose Dropbox as the location of my 1password vault then click on use Use Selected Vault, it always tells me I'm using the wrong password.

iMac 2015 - OS X (10.12.2)
MacBook Pro 2009 - OS X (10.11.6)
1Password 6.5.3

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @inano,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help with this! Just to make sure I understand the setup on your MacBook Pro, can you clarify something you mentioned:

When I choose Dropbox as the location of my 1password vault then click on use Use Selected Vault, it always tells me I'm using the wrong password.

Are you setting up 1Password for the first time on your MacBook Pro and are choosing to sync data from Dropbox during the setup? Or do you already have an existing vault in 1Password on your MacBook Pro, and you're trying to sync that with the 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox? Were you previously syncing 1Password on your MacBook Pro with 1Password on your other devices?

Also, when you see the dialog to choose your sync file from Dropbox, do you select the main Dropbox folder, or do you specifically find and select the sync file from it's location within the Dropbox folder? If you choose the main Dropbox folder, and if for some reason you have multiple sync files stored in there (.agilekeychain or .opvault), it might be choosing the wrong one for you. Try selecting the exact sync file to see if that makes a difference.

To double-check the name and location of the sync file that your other devices are using, open 1Password on your iMac and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync. Make sure that's the file you choose on your MacBook Pro.

If you're choosing the right file from Dropbox and entering the same master password that works to unlock 1Password on your other devices, please try the suggestions here: If you forgot your Master Password or you can't unlock 1Password

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• inano
    inano
    Community Member

Thank you for responding and I'm sorry for this delayed response. I'm responding now through my laptop which I don't use as much anymore due to not having access to my 1Password passwords.

So, it's not a first time setup on my Macbook Pro. 1Password stopped syncing about 6 months ago and it's just something I have ignored and put up with not being able to use 1Password on this device. I tried deleting all agilebits, 1passowrd preference files and Application Support files/folders from my ~/Library directory. That puts me basically as a new 1Password user that I can either choose I'm a new user and create a new vault or choose one of the online services that has my vault. I choose Dropbox since that's what I use across all my devices.

I always choose the default folder/file that 1Password setup brings up which is ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain and that is where that file is located. I have manually checked that location in the Finder.

I tried the the link you gave me but it does not apply to my case.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@inano: Thanks for following up. I'm sorry for the confusion. If you're using Dropbox sync, 1Password doesn't sync your data; Dropbox does. So deleting 1Password files won't have any effect on that, and unfortunately while I can offer some suggestions that might point you in the right direction, 1Password won't be able to resolve an issue with Dropbox syncing. Please follow the steps in this guide, as they will help narrow down the problem:

Dropbox troubleshooting

If you're still having trouble with Dropbox syncing the data (perhaps creating conflicts), it may be simplest to start from scratch with your data in a new vault. Where do you have all of your 1Password data currently? I can walk you through setting up a new local vault in Dropbox.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com subscription, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

1Password.com

A big part of the reason we created this service is that we can make sure that 1Password data syncs easily and efficiently...and if it doesn't, we can fix it.

Either way, let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• inano
    inano
    Community Member

But even if for testing purposes, I put the 1Password.agilekeychain file outside of the Dropbox directory and direct the 1Password app to it, I still get the same error that I'm using the wrong password. I have done that after copying the 1Password.agilekeychain file from my working iMac to my laptop via USB thumb drives and emailing the file to myself (after compressing it to zip file and uncompressing of course). That doesn't sound to me like a Dropbox sync issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@inano: Then it sounds like you simply have multiple vaults with different Master Passwords. On the "working" Mac, you'll be able to unlock the app using the Master Password of the Primary vault, regardless of what you've set for any secondary vaults. Does that help clear things up? If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart each device, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report on each so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track it down. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• inano
    inano
    Community Member

There's no multiple vaults. Like I said previously, I am using the same 1Password.agilekeychain file that I use on my working iMac. That same file that works on the iMac, I copy to my MacBook Pro (without Dropbox) and it does not accept the password.

To clarify once again steps taken:
    1. 1Password.agilekeychain password works on iMac
    2. 1Password.agilekeychain copy file (usb stick) to MacBook Pro (Not using Dropbox)
    3. 1Password.agilekeychain password does not work on Macbook Pro

I have tried doing a checksum on these files too. I know the 1Password.agilekeychain file is really a folder. I do a checksum after compressing to zip file.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@inano: Indeed. But if you're opening the vault in 1Password on a second machine that way, it should be added as a secondary vault, in which case you'll still need to enter the Master Password for the Primary. Unfortunately without better information we're limited to educated guesses though. Be sure to let us know when you're able to send the diagnostics for each machine!

This discussion has been closed.