I'd like to be able to automatically synchronise data in shared folder

JuliaHailes
JuliaHailes
Community Member

If I share a contact and then update it in my original, it doesn't update in the shared folder - and vice versa. Would like the option to do this, although would also like the option not to! Thanks.

Julia

1Password Version: 6.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I'd like to be able to automatically synchronise data in shared folder

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JuliaHailes,

Thanks for writing in to ask about this! When you use the 'Share' option to copy an item to another vault, or to send it to someone else via Mail, Messages, etc, that creates a new item containing the same information as the original, but otherwise it's a completely separate item. It's basically the same as right-clicking an item and choosing 'Duplicate' to create a copy (similarly, if you right-click a file on your Mac and choose 'Duplicate', you will end up with two separate copies of the same file). Changes you make to one will not affect the other.

Are you sharing items with someone else, like a family member? If so, you might be interested in 1Password Families, which makes it very easy to share data with others. The Families account would have a shared vault, and other members of the same account have access to the items you put in that vault. Changes made to items in the shared vault will sync to the other members' devices.

If you have more questions about that or need anything else, just let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

• JuliaHailes
    JuliaHailes
    Community Member

Thanks for this however I'm afraid you haven't told me anything I don't know already. I have a shared family vault. As you say when I copy something to it, it's a duplicate of what I have in my vault. But, I'd like to be able to mark some items, so that any updates I make in my vault will automatically update in the shared vault. This would mean that I would have the option to simply duplicate some entries or synchronise others... Clearly, not a feature that's available yet.
    Best wishes,

Julia

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JuliaHailes,

Is there a reason why you're creating a copy of your items in the shared vault instead of moving them there? Keeping multiple copies of some items will definitely cause some confusion for you. Instead of having one copy in your personal vault and another copy in the shared vault, just keep the copy in the shared vault.

• JuliaHailes
    JuliaHailes
    Community Member

Yes - that's probably the answer. I tend to use my personal vault most of the time, but there's no reason why i can't look in both vaults, rather than keep two copies... Thanks for your help. Julia

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, @JuliaHailes!

In case it helps, you can view multiple vaults at the same time with the All Vaults view: Use All Vaults to see all your items at once

If you have both your Personal and Shared vaults in the All Vaults view, you'll see all those items in the same place (as if they were in the same vault).

We're here for you if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.