Attachment Not Encrypted/Stored in 1Password Vault?

Kirkvan
Kirkvan
Community Member

Hi AgileBits folks,

I just dragged two screen shots into a Login (and subsequently to a Secure Note as a test). I see I can “quick look” the attachment as well as “open” or “show In finder” (Feature Request: Use a capital “F” in Finder):

When I invoke the “show in finder” option, I am taken to the following folder path:

/private/var/folders/9q/n83jpsd11w7_t9cd_fsy23fh0000gn/T/com.agilebits.Attachments.noindex/093D15D81D49424E8D0C8748E65CBC3D/DF818FA6D00C440DAFCA9888F53D9550/Credit\ Card.jpg

...which appears to be stored locally in an unprotected folder on my hard drive and not in my 1Password vault file

What am I missing here?

Many thanks for all you do!

Kirk out

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AG_Alles
    AG_Alles
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

Hi @Kirkvan!

That definitely looks confusing, and I'm sorry for the scare. :)

When you click Show in Finder, 1Password makes a copy of the file accessible to you on your local filesystem so that you can actually do something with a copy of the file in whatever way you wish.

We have to protections for you here: first, note that the com.agilebits.Attachments directory has ".noindex" at the end. This means Spotlight won't index the content of that directory, so your sensitive data isn't getting into the Spotlight index. Second, once you lock 1Password that directory and it's content are deleted immediately and automatically.

I hope this helps. :) If you'd like to read more about our security design, take a look at our resources here:

1Password Security and Privacy

• dknight12
    dknight12
    Community Member

I was also confused by this. It'd strongly recommend you consider renaming the menu item "Show in Finder" to something like Export or Show Temporary File in Finder.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback/suggestion, @dknight12 - and sorry for any confusion about that! :)

• cxhercules
    cxhercules
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

@AG_Alles fyi I found that it did not delete the folder once it was copied onto folder. I do not know if opening up a terminal window onto that folder had anything to do with it. Also even though I closed the Terminals and finder windows to this location it does not automatically get cleaned up :|. Would it be better if content of file was in a secure note if file not too big?

• @cxhercules : it should get cleaned up when you lock the app. Let me know if that's not the case.

Rick

• cxhercules
    cxhercules
    Community Member

I tried again and seems like did go away even if I had terminal open to that window. Thank you!.

• @cxhercules,

Good to hear, let us know if you find anything else.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.