iphone 6 keyboard hesitation

Options
alecuitti
alecuitti
Community Member

I have an iphone6 with latest software and app. this past weekend the keyboard started to pause/freeze while typing (in all places, notes, messages and password form fields). During typing the characters would all of a sudden stop appearing and then a few seconds later the ones you typed while this was going on would all appear at once (did it with backspace too).

Took it to the genius bar and we did the sequence from least destructive to most (over 3 appointments): keyboard settings, network settings, All settings and then finally reset the whole thing. The last one worked and brought keyboard back to normal but had lots of restoring to do.
Restored all my apps and the keyboard started doing it again!

Took it in and Apple just replaced the phone assuming it was a hardware issue at this point.
Restored from iCloud since it was a blank slate it should never have that issue again, right?

Keyboard started doing it again after restore!

Erased again and just started to restore apps one and a time. the first one I restored was 1Password because it's become absolutely necessary to life. duh. The keyboard immediately started acting up.

I deleted the app and the keyboard started to behave again. Re installed/downloaded and it’s messing up.

Now I'm not saying that the 1password app is definitely to blame. I suppose there could be some combo of system software and icloud or ??
but it's very suspicious.

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.2.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @alecuitti,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

Just to make sure we're on the same page: this is happening in every app, not just within 1Password?

Ben

• alecuitti
    alecuitti
    Community Member
    Options

Notes, iMessage and form fields like password boxes for facebook, etc.. and within 1password app as well.

• Ben
    Options

While I'm not discounting your experience, 1Password itself doesn't have any control over the keyboard outside of the 1Password app. We don't offer a custom keyboard, and even within the 1Password app the only interaction we have with the keyboard is to turn off custom keyboards by default (can be re-enabled except inside password fields in preferences).

Admittedly it is very odd that uninstalling the 1Password app seemed to resolve the issue. Is that experience reproducible? If you uninstall 1Password now does the issue disappear again?

Please let us know.

Ben

• alecuitti
    alecuitti
    Community Member
    Options

I just uninstalled the 1password app and it's still occurring. Looks like the app isn't at fault. Sorry for the alarm.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @alecuitti. I hope you're able to get to the bottom of the issue!

Ben

• alecuitti
    alecuitti
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben. I'm going to keep this alive actually. Yet another session with apple and now it's definitely pointing to an app and possibly this one. I'll keep you posted

• Ben
    Options

Okay. :) But if 1Password is able to cause problems with the keyboard, especially when it isn't even installed, then that is an issue on Apple's end one way or the other. ;)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.