'New item' grayed out, standalone app, frozen account

foster13
foster13
Community Member
edited February 2017 in Mac

Hi:

The 'new item' option is grayed out and so I cannot add anything new to my Mac 1Password.

I want to continue using 1Password as a standalone app. Please do whatever is necessary to remove it from the account and frozen account status.

Thank you!

— Susan Swartz

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:'New item' grayed out, standalone app, frozen account

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @foster13,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! If I understand, it sounds like you've been using a 1Password.com account, but that account is now frozen (possibly due to the free trial expiring). If you'd like to unfreeze your account, you can simply follow the steps here: If your 1Password account is frozen

On the other hand, if you really want to stop using the account and switch to using 1Password with a standalone license, we explain how to do that here: How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

If you decide not to unfreeze your account, is there anything in particular you didn't like about it, or is it just that you don't want a subscription? Feedback helps us to improve 1Password, so we'd love to hear your thoughts about it if you get a chance to let us know.

I hope the above links help - please let us know if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

• foster13
    foster13
    Community Member

I've loved 1Password over the years.

However, like others, I messed up and don't know how to fix it. Specifically, I mistakenly created duplicate entries in two vaults.

I had difficulty implementing the instructions (menu options grayed out), so I created a new vault and copied items to that — so now I'm laden with duplicates. (I looked at some of the posts pertaining to comparing vaults, but did not encounter any that made comparison and removal sound like a real fun task.) I don't quite grasp the multiple vault concept. If there's a quick simple idiot-proof way to remove duplicate entries (not duplicate passwords), I'd love to know how.

As far as the frozen account aspect, given the numerous 1Password upgrades in the past, most respectfully, I find the concept of an ongoing paid subscription service on top of everything else tacky. Additionally, obviously I regret having tried it since it broke what was not broken. It was my mistake not to realize that up-front before I signed up for the trial.

In any event, any advice as to how to restore what I had would be real appreciated.

Continuing thank-yous,

— Susan

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

I had difficulty implementing the instructions (menu options grayed out), so I created a new vault and copied items to that — so now I'm laden with duplicates. (I looked at some of the posts pertaining to comparing vaults, but did not encounter any that made comparison and removal sound like a real fun task.) I don't quite grasp the multiple vault concept. If there's a quick simple idiot-proof way to remove duplicate entries (not duplicate passwords), I'd love to know how.

@foster13: There isn't a way for 1Password to "know" which items you want to keep and which you want to get rid of, and I don't really think it would be appropriate for 1Password to make this determination and delete data even if that were possible. So there isn't going to be a way to automate this.

However, it sounds like just retracing your steps may be the simplest solution. For example, if instead of copying your data to the local vault you created a new one and copied it there, it stands to reason that you could reverse the process, or simply copy your data directly from the 1Password.com vault to the desired local vault (after enabling local vaults in Preferences > Advanced, if you haven't already done so). After all, you can't have made duplicates in your 1Password.com Account or deleted any data there at this point since it's frozen, so that should still have only a single copy of each item. Let me know if that helps!

As far as the frozen account aspect, given the numerous 1Password upgrades in the past, most respectfully, I find the concept of an ongoing paid subscription service on top of everything else tacky. Additionally, obviously I regret having tried it since it broke what was not broken. It was my mistake not to realize that up-front before I signed up for the trial.

Frankly, I think it would be pretty "tacky" for us to not charge reasonable prices for what we offer since users rightly expect ongoing support and updates, never mind the very real recurring costs of the server infrastructure that enables the 1Password.com service to work and offer the benefits it does in the first place. We're happy to be able to offer this finally since people have been asking us for these features for literally years, but of course if they don't appeal to you and you already have a setup that meets your needs there's no harm in sticking with that. I'm just sorry you arrived at that conclusion only after some difficulty. :blush:

Anyway, be sure to let us know if there's anything else we can help with. We'll be here since our plan is to charge sustainable prices for our products and services so we can continue to be around for the next decade as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.