open 1password on different macbook users

hillsykes
hillsykes
Community Member

I have my macbook set up with two users to separate my husband's and my calendars and contacts. When I open safari under the second user, and I open the 1password application, it doesn't seem to recognize that I already have an account. How can I access my 1 password account regardless of which user I'm logged in under? thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:open 1password on different macbook users

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hillsykes,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help!

Although apps in the Applications folder are shared by each Mac user account, the user data in each account is separate. That's why you're able to have your own calendar and contact information in your Mac user account, and your husband has his own calendar and contact information in his Mac user account. It works the same way for 1Password: You can have your own 1Password data in your Mac user account, and your husband can have his own 1Password data in his Mac user account. It might help to think of each Mac user account as a separate Mac computer.

If you husband doesn't use 1Password, you can set up the 1Password app on his Mac user account with your own data. When you launch the 1Password app and see the 'Welcome' screen, choose one of the options under the "Used 1Password before?" section. For example, if you use a 1Password.com account, choose 1Password.com and follow the steps. Or if you sync your 1Password data with Dropbox, choose Dropbox and follow the steps.

Does that help to answer your question? If I misunderstood or if you need anything else, please let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• hillsykes
    hillsykes
    Community Member

It sounds like using our license across both of our user accounts on our laptop isn't an issue, but I'm still confused how to "install" it on the second account (we'd want all the passwords/logins to be the same for both users). When I launch the 1Password app on the "second" user account, get to the Welcome screen, I'm responding to the prompt "used 1password before?" with "on my mac," but then it's asking for my key code and I can't find that. I'm thinking that there may be a difference between my having a license vs. my having a 1password.com account????

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hillsykes: If you purchased a license for the standalone 1Password app, you won't have an account. You can learn more about the difference here:

What is the difference between a 1Password account and a standalone license?

It sounds like there are a few different elements that come into play here though, so the best thing to do would be to generate a diagnostic report so we can get a clearer picture of your setup to help you work out the best plan of action:

Sending Diagnostics Reports

Do that for each device you are using 1Password on (if there are others besides the Mac), and attach the entire file for each to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track down the report and get back to you more quickly. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.