Why did my master password stopped working?

jfricke
jfricke
Community Member

Today, my master password did stop working.

I am 100% sure, I did not change my master password. After several attempts I restored the last backup (about 5 hours old). After this my master password worked again.

I am slightly concerned about this. Is there a way for me to check whether my master password has been changed?
I sync (via iCloud) one vault between different computers with different master password? Can this cause such a problem? The master password of the other computer didn't work as well.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:password

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jfricke,

Sorry to hear you had some trouble with your master password!

I sync (via iCloud) one vault between different computers with different master password? Can this cause such a problem

Yes, I think that helps to explain what happened. Do you know how you ended up with a different master password on each Mac? For example, did you originally set up 1Password on each Mac separately (with different master passwords), and then later started to sync them with each other via iCloud? Or did they used to have the same master password, but you changed it on one of your Macs at some point?

Normally, a vault that syncs between multiple devices should have the same master password on each one. And if you change the master password on one device, that change should sync to the other devices. Somehow you ended up with a different master password on each Mac, but your data in iCloud would only be associated with one of those passwords. Did you try both master passwords before you restored from a backup?

The first time your master password was rejected, is it at all possible you had typed it incorrectly? If so, 1Password would have checked the copy of your data in iCloud in case you changed your master password from another device. At that point, it may have started asking for the master password from the other Mac, which would have been different than the one you were entering.

Are you now able to unlock 1Password on both Macs? Are they syncing with each other again? After restoring from a backup, you'll need to set up sync again. Once they're syncing via iCloud again, do they still unlock with different master passwords, or the same one?

This discussion has been closed.