Unable to unlock vault with master password, "incorrect"

super_disappointed
super_disappointed
Community Member

I bought a standalone version of 1Password. I setup all of my accounts into it for Windows 10 as well as bought the iPad version. Yesterday, I was able to get into the vault just fine, but today no matter what I try the password won't work. The password was not changed. I did not update my app or my computer and I only do WLAN syncing. I am not able to get into either the PC app or the iPad with the master password. It wouldn't even give me the option to use the pin on the iPad.

I tried restoring from backup and it doesn't work. The password is correct. It was working just fine yesterday and I have it written down. Am I really out of luck? This is an incredibly frustrating experience. Have I really lost all of my data? Will I really need to reset the 43 passwords in the vault?

To anyone who's researching this password manager and comes across this thread BE WARNED. If it glitches out on you, you're done. I'm very angry that I paid so much for such a frustrating product that stopped working 3 months in.

Frustrated Freddy

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@super_disappointed: Thanks for reaching out, Freddy. I’m sorry for the trouble! Like a phone number or postal address, if it’s not correct it doesn’t reach who it’s intended for — or in the case of the Master Password, 1Password doesn’t unlock as intended. There is no backdoor. 1Password is as secure as the Master Password you choose, but this also means that unless it is entered correctly even you will not be able to unlock it. We cannot reset it for you and you cannot change it without entering the old one. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/master-password/#recover-your-master-password

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over — but there are at least some things you can try first. Sometimes a keyboard/input issue can cause something like this to happen, or if the data was corrupt on one of your devices and then sync'd to the other, it could become impossible to decrypt the data. Do you have your 1Password data on another device? If you're restoring from a backup on the same device, but there a problem with the data there, the backup itself may be corrupt — either due to a disk issue, or because you've just been backing up corrupt data. Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you!

This discussion has been closed.