What is the difference between the .opvault and .agilekeychain file format?

danchoe
danchoe
Community Member

I'm on the latest version for Mac / iOS / Android and just noticing new vaults I'm creating are .opvault.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:What is the difference between the .opvault and .agilekeychain file format? I'm just noticing new vaults I'm creating are .opvault (wish you guys would just keep it simple / keep it the same)

Comments

• @danchoe,

I believe this will shed some light on the situation, https://blog.agilebits.com/2015/10/19/when-a-leak-isnt-a-leak/

Rudy

• danchoe
    danchoe
    Community Member

Thanks for the info Rudy. My suggestion is to change the headline to ".opvault vs .agilekeychain". That way when doing a Google search your linked page shows up at the top. "When a leak isn't a leak" isn't particularly useful, especially considering it was published 2 years ago. The first page talks about migrating back to the older format without any explanation of the differences.

Secondly, it would be useful if this information was embedded into the software itself. Even something simple like a tool tip that triggers explaining the new format if a new vault is created.

Follow up question: what is the best way to migrate over to the new format? Create a new vault and copy over the password info into the new vault? Is there a more direct or preferred method? Thanks!

• @danchoe,

You definitely don't need to create a new vault or copy any passwords. The opvault and agilekeychain bundles are strictly an intermediary for getting your data from one copy of 1Password to another. To cause it to generate an opvault you would need to first turn sync off, rename the agilekeychain in question or delete it. Then turn sync back on and choose the folder that you want the sync file to end up in rather than picking the file itself. This should cause you to end up with an opvault file. Do keep in mind that if you're using certain legacy versions of 1Password anywhere that you wouldn't be able to make this change and maintain compatibility with those older versions as they don't support opvault.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.