Can I have both online, synced vaults and local, unsynced vaults?

henrikwl
henrikwl
Community Member

I'm using the 1Password online service, and it works beautifully. I have 3 vaults, Personal, Employer and Client, that all sync between my devices.

Is it possible for me to have offline vaults on my devices, to use for stuff I don't want synced? For instance, on my work computer I might want to have an offline vault used for logins that are only available on the company network and don't make sense in any other location. Or I might not want the launch codes for my nuclear missiles to ever leave my bunker so I'd want to keep them in an offline 1Password vault on my mainframe down there, yet still be able to enjoy easy, one-click login to my online bank via my synced vaults while I'm sitting there plotting to take over the world.

Can 1Password aid me in this quest of mine for world domination?

Joking aside, it'd be a really nice feature and I'd like to know if it can be done. Thanks. :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@henrikwl go to 1Password > Preferences > Advanced and ensure Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts is checked. You'll then be able to do what you want.

Stephen

• henrikwl
    henrikwl
    Community Member

Thanks! That does look like just what I was thinking. However, it says "you will use this vault to unlock 1Password from now on" - what does that mean? Will I then have a different master password on the device I enable this preference?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@henrikwl: You could have a different Master Password for unlocking the Primary vault (and therefore the app itself), but I'd recommend using the same one you use for your 1Password.com Account unless you have a good reason for doing otherwise. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.