What is the best way to merge vaults?

Stranded99
Stranded99
Community Member

All software is up to date including IPassword iOS 6.5.2

I realized that one of my devices was not syncing. My MacBook pro for work, my iPad and my iPhone were fine but my MacBook Pro for home was not syncing with the other three. I am not sure how long this has been going on but I want to have all four devices share the same vault. I found two 1Password vaults in different location in Dropbox.

What is the best way to get all four devices syncing while minimizing the hassle of sorting duplicate logins?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: (653001)
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• stevelack
    stevelack
    Community Member

If you upgrade to the 1Password account option all your syncing issues will be a thing of the past. I finally decided to subscribe and now all my devices are perfectly in sync no matter which system I am on. Here is an older post with some details on syncing the stand-alone version: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/17965/how-to-merge-a-vault

Hope that helps.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Stranded99,

Indeed, as stevelack mentioned, a 1Password.com account would help you to avoid this type of problem entirely.

However, to more directly answer your question: What you'll need to do is update the sync settings in 1Password on your home MacBook Pro so it points to the same sync file in Dropbox as your other devices. The link from stevelack's post may be for a slightly different situation than your own, but you can follow these steps:

First, check the (correct) sync settings on your work MacBook Pro:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    • Click the Sync tab.
    • Check the file name and file path for the sync file in Dropbox.

Next, change the sync settings on your home MacBook Pro:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • If Dropbox is currently selected, change the sync setting from Dropbox to None.
    • Click Disable Sync.
    • Change the sync setting from None back to Dropbox.
    • Click the Choose button, then select the same sync file your other Mac is using (and click Open).
    • Click Merge with Existing to start syncing (enter your master password if prompted).

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• Stranded99
    Stranded99
    Community Member

stevelack & Drew_AG, thank you for your suggestions. I plan to check into your suggestion on the weekend.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• Stranded99
    Stranded99
    Community Member

Drew_AG, followed your instructions and everything is syncing flawlessly. Thank you.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, I'm happy to hear that was helpful for you! Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.