No syncing iMAC--iPhone6

hansboehm
hansboehm
Community Member

Hello, my primary Vault on my iMac shows 196 installations - my Vault on my iPhone6 only 188 items. I have repeatedly initiated the sync function in the 1PW-settings on my iPhone, but with no avail. The discrepancy of amount of items does not disappear. The discrepancy is real indeed as I cannot find certain items on iPhone vault. How can this be resolved? Thank you for your response.

1Password Version: 6.5.5
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Noffica
    Noffica
    Community Member

Can you try the following steps:

• lock the vault on your iMac → unlock the vault → access 1Password's preferences → Sync → check the time of sync → a sync operation should be underway and should finish shortly
    • on your iPhone, launch 1Password → lock the vault → unlock the vault → the spinner which appears when the internet data is under use should appear → when it vanishes, 1Password mobile should have completed its sync → check for the new items
  • hansboehm
    hansboehm
    Community Member

Thanks for the response. Carried out both bulletpoints - no change.

• Checked set-ups of both (iMAC + iPhone) and both are geared towards Dropbox (dropbox app on iPhone is installed).
    • Checked that Dropbox account is ok.
    • In dropbox account also checked presence of active xxx.agilekeychain folder with content: 1Password.html; a; AgileKeychain.ico; config; data.
      Still have the differing amounts of items.
  • hansboehm
    hansboehm
    Community Member

Have thought through step by step about the transport of data from a 1P app (iMac) via dropbox to 1P app (mobile device).
    And here is the troubleshooting - so simple that it almost hurts:

Even if the 1P preference on the iMAC is correctly directed towards dropbox as the chosen cloud service, this will remain useless if the agent of transport - dropbox - does not exist in the application folder.
    My preoccupation with the correct preference setting of 1P on my iMAC fell short in this respect as - in my firm assumption the dropbox app existed, so I did not check on this.

I downloaded dropbox-app and after initiating a sync on both ends - Voila! - the discrepancy disappeared. Subsequently I created a trial item on 1P on my iMAC and had prove of an -now- active link when I saw the item amount immediately increasing by one on my iPhone.

I am just wondering how the dropbox app disappeared - a few weeks back. Would an iMAC "cleaning app" cause such a disappearance - or was it rather me?

Nevertheless, thank you, Noffica, and thanks also for viewers pondering about my trouble, for giving me the impetus for a little analytic thinking about something which I without much thought and taken for granted used daily until ... it snapped.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hansboehm,

I'm glad you were able to find the cause of the problem and get the sync working again! Thank you for following up to let us know how it turned out. A missing Dropbox app on your Mac would certainly explain the problem: 1Password for Mac syncs to a file stored in the local Dropbox folder, and it's up to the Dropbox app to sync that to your Dropbox.com account and other devices.

1Password doesn't have the ability to delete your Dropbox app, so I have no idea what happened to it. You mentioned something about a "cleaning app" so that would be my best guess, but I really don't know for sure.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.