Feature request: auto change passwords

henrikwl
henrikwl
Community Member

I checked out Dashlane on a whim, and while 1Password ended up on top by a good margin (1Password has the better UI and Dashlane's lack of support for logins with multiple URLs is a major dealbreaker now that I'm used to 1Password) there was especially one particular feature from Dashlane I'd love to see in 1Password. Namely, the 1-click password auto-change. Granted, it's not universally available for all websites, but they had quite the list.

From the security audit section, having the ability to do 1-click password auto-changes for old, identical or compromised passwords would be great. 5 sites with passwords older than 12 months? Select them all, "Update passwords" and all passwords are updated both in 1Password and on the actual site itself.

I do realize that there would have to be work done for each site you'd want to offer this feature for, but I'm sure this work would be easier and easier the more sites were added (and the more common ground was being found), and if you'd start with the 10-15 biggest sites out there and just slowly add more over time I think it'd be a great addition to the feature set.

1Password Version: 6.5.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @henrikwl,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your request for & thoughts about automated password changes!

Although a feature like that would be handy, it would also be extremely difficult to implement, and wouldn't work with all websites. Web forms to change passwords work differently (and have different requirements) on just about every site, which means we would need to create custom code for nearly every single one. We could start with a list of top sites of course, but we would need to update our code every time one of those websites makes a change to how its 'change password' form works. That's not to say we'll never look into the possibility of adding a feature like this, but it's definitely something that would take more time and resources than we currently have available (and again, it's something that would only work with a small fraction of the sites where customers might need to change passwords). It's an interesting idea though, and perhaps something we can consider in the future.

We really do appreciate your feedback, and if you have more feature requests or suggestions, please don't hesitate to let us know - hearing what our customers would like really helps our developers decide what new features to add. Cheers! :)

• publicarray
    publicarray
    Community Member

I would also love this feature. This has an additional advantage today because of the record size data breaches and large number of password changes. A one click solution to automatically change passwords would be fantastic and less error prone. I respect that It won't work for every website but It's wishful thinking ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@publicarray: Hey, if we didn't dream, we wouldn't be living in a world where any of this was possible. :eh:

That said, while from a technical perspective it's a challenge (to say the least), from a privacy perspective, we also don't want to be in the business of having any information about our customers' browsing habits and where they have accounts. In order for us to automatically change passwords, we'd need to know which site to communicate with, and the old password would need to be sent through us. Certainly it could be encrypted, but in general we prefer to not be in that position. And as a user, in cases where a password couldn't be automatically changed, I'd be more annoyed if I already had that expectation. Perhaps unfair, but I'm only human. :lol:

Anyway, there's a lot to consider, but if we can come up with a way of doing this reliably, securely, and maintain user privacy, we may yet. :)

This discussion has been closed.