Automatically changes from custom keyboard layout when opened

cjsf2323
cjsf2323
Community Member

I uploaded a custom keyboard layout (from here: https://github.com/sblaurock/tarmak-layouts), and am attempting to use it as my primary layout. However, whenever I open 1Password, it changes my keyboard layout back to U.S. English. Additionally, while the program is open, I can't change it back. What's going on?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: 10.12.4 Beta
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:custom keyboard layout

Comments

• Hi @cjsf2323 ,

It may be related to "Secure Input" mode being enabled in the 1Password app. This is a security feature to thwart certain types of key loggers and other utilities that can see your keystrokes.

This is a guess, but try this:

1. Quit 1Password by holding down the control key while selecting Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the 1Password menu.
    2. Open the System Preferences and click "Keyboard", then "Input Sources"
    3. Look for a checkbox that says "Automatically switch to a document's input source" and uncheck that.
    4. Launch 1Password again and see if it works.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
    Kevin

• cjsf2323
    cjsf2323
    Community Member

Thanks for the steps! The box was already unchecked, but quitting and restarting in the manner you outlined seems to have done the trick. Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Kevin, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well again. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• jeremywsherman
    jeremywsherman
    Community Member

I am also having this problem, but with a custom Colemak layout.

The input checkbox is already unchecked. I checked and unchecked just in case.

It's not just that it's switching: It's that, when I select it from the input source list, it immediately switches back. (I also notice that macOS won't let me remove the US Keyboard Layout and leave just my custom one in the list of input sources.)

I have a workaround where I leave the Apple-provided Colemak layout in there (its Option plane isn't as good), but I'd like to be able to use the layout I prefer. :\

• Hi @jeremywsherman ,

I'm sorry to say I don't have an exact solution at the moment. But I have a couple of questions:

1. What folder is the keyboard layout installed in?
    2. If you choose another layout, but one built into the OS, does it switch back to US?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• jeremywsherman
    jeremywsherman
    Community Member

Thanks for your response. It's installed in /Library/Keyboard Layouts/. This is no longer an issue for me, though.

After a reboot or two, the weirdness in both System Preferences and in 1Password went away. So this worked itself out.

I saw general weirdness during the session I installed 1Password in - the Vivaldi extension failed to connect, and the input manager kept switching key layouts. Both of them seemed to resolve themselves over time and reboots.

It makes me uncomfortable to not have a clear way to fix it, but at least it resolved for the best!

• Glad to hear it worked out. I suspect it has something to do with Apple validating keyboard layouts with SecureInput mode, but I'm not certain. There's very little information about how the OS handles custom keyboard layouts in these situations.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.