Problem with website url when creating new login with safari extension

lckj
lckj
Community Member

Let's say I visit http://example.com/login.html. I fill in my username and password and use the safari extension to create a new login on this website.

Generally, the safari extension will automatically grab the name of the website, username, password as well as the url.
As I want a cleaner url saved in the login info, I would like to remove the "/login.html" from the url before I press save. Yet, the url saved at the end will still have the "/login.html" part and I have to get into 1password app again to delete it.

I believe this is a bug and it should be easy to replicate this issue. I hope this will be fixed as it is bothering me for a while.

Thanks!
Jason

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2017

Hi @lckj,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

The extension always saves the URL of the page that you're on when you save a login like that.

As I want a cleaner url saved in the login info

Why? :) The product is designed to save the complete URL so that if you tap on it you are taken to the login page, where it can log you in.

Please let me know. I'd be interested to hear more about your use case. Thanks!

Ben

• lckj
    lckj
    Community Member

I understand the case that the url is saved exactly as on the page. But when you create the login, the url is already filled in the website field. This already does the job.

However, that url field is editable and saving the login should save the edited url as well. If the extension ignores what the user has typed, that is not a good user experience at all.

There are numerous case I can think of that the user might want to change the default url. For example, some old websites use multiple web servers with different subdomains, like www1.example.com and www2.example.com. When I save the login, I would like to remove the www* part so that it always work correctly, across all the devices.

What about the case where there some random parameters in the url, like www.example.com/j8JbmXgo9/login? I would like to remove that part as well.

• lckj
    lckj
    Community Member

I just tried that again. It does save my changed url, but is saved as the second address. Not sure if this is the intended behavior though.

If it is, I guess I have to go in the app and delete the first address then.

• Thanks @lckj. I've just tested this a couple times myself and it does appear that is the intended behavior.

If it is, I guess I have to go in the app and delete the first address then.

I've never had an issue with having multiple, but if you'd prefer to do that then yes I suppose you could. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.