I need to move my sync folder to a network drive.

Options
brutusInquisitor
brutusInquisitor
Community Member

1Password is already using a .angelbits folder buried in a Mac container on my Mac. 1Password Version 6.5.3 (653001), Mac OSX 10.12.3 (16D32). I need to move the folder to a local network drive for syncing with other iMacs & iPad. In Preferences-->Sync the sync location seems to be set. How best to move folder and reconnect

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:move sync folder

Comments

• @brutusInquisitor : while you can set 1Password for Mac to sync to a NAS drive, we really don't recommend it. NAS doesn't have the same notifications that we rely on to perform proper sync. Technically it'll still work, but the experience you'll get will be sub-par.

But if you really want to do it... it's just a matter of setting sync to None, then setting it to Folder and choosing the NAS folder. You can then go and remove the old sync file that it was pointing to as it'll have created a new one for you automatically.

I really want you to remember what I said about the poor experience with NAS syncing. You may find that items you add on one device won't automatically show up on another device until you force it to sync (by doing something like lock/unlock). For some people this is fine. For others this is a show stopper. Older versions of 1Password for Mac could also hang when trying to sync if the NAS device was not present. This issue should be resolved in the latest versions (I think that got fixed around the 6.1 timeframe if I'm remembering correctly).

Good luck.

Rick

• brutusInquisitor
    brutusInquisitor
    Community Member
    Options

Rick, thank you very much. I am using 1P version 6.5.3, so may give your move technique a try just to learn something.
    The target drive is USB attached to the LAN/WiFi router and is easily accessed from Mac & IOS.

• You're welcome.

Cheers.

Rick

• Ben
    Options

Hi @brutusInquisitor

To add:

and is easily accessed from Mac & IOS.

But not from 1Password for iOS. 1Password for iOS cannot sync in this way.

Ben

• brutusInquisitor
    brutusInquisitor
    Community Member
    Options

The iMac and the Mac laptop sync very rapidly. But as you point out, the iPad is left out. So, I shall end this experiment by syncing on iCloud disk. Thank all y'all for the teaching!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise, thanks for following up! Never hurts to try something new — so long as you have a backup. Cheers! ;)

This discussion has been closed.