Cannot copy and paste notes and logins don't work in browser

I cannot copy and paste what I have on a notepad in 1Password. Secondly, I just tried three different websites and my login information would to work. I have some banking login info in notepad and I tried to copy and paste it. It appears that I can copy it, but it will not paste on a blank word document. And my login information does not work on websites.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Cannot copy and paste notes and logins don't work in browser

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dickkelly

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having some trouble with 1Password. I just tried pasting several things from the Notes app on my Mac into different items and sections in 1Password and it worked well for me every time, I was able to copy things from 1Password into Notes as well. Could you please tell me what exactly you see when you try to copy or paste something? If there's an error message, what does it say? Could you please verify that you're on a view of 1Password that will let you edit items? (The bottom right corner should say "Cancel" and "Save", not "Edit").

Could you please tell me some more about how your logins aren't working on some sites? Is it that information seems to be different or that 1Password is not filling things in? Is it something else? What sites are you finding trouble with? The more details we have the better we'll be able to help you get 1Password up and running :chuffed:

• dickkelly
    dickkelly
    Community Member

I am not experienced enough with 1Password to use it for banking. Our bank always asks for an answer to one of three security questions whenever I log in so I keep our banking information in secure notes on 1Password. Then whenever I want to use our bank account, I go into 1Password, select and copy the bank information from secure notes, then past it onto a Word or Pages document. I then copy my bank password, go to the bank website and log in. Lately, whenever I've tried to select, copy and paste the banking notes I have, it appears to select and copy, but it won't paste on either a Word or Pages document. I have tried this unsuccessfully several times and finally just gave up.

With regard to loging into websites, 1Password gives me automatic logins to Facebook, but not to either of our credit card accounts or to a utilities company where we pay our utility bills. Right now those are about the only websites I use on 1Password and I have no idea why it will log me in on Facebook but nothing else.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dickkelly,

I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your message to our Saving and Filling in Browsers forum since you're having trouble filling Login items on websites.

As far as using 1Password to sign into bank websites, it sounds like you're making things much more difficult than they need to be. Instead of storing your username & password in a Secure Note, copying/pasting them to Word, and then copying/pasting from Word to the website, why not simply save a Login item for that site in 1Password? If you do that, you can have 1Password fill your username and password for you on that site. We explain how to do that here: Use the browser extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

Now, that takes care of the username and password for the bank site, but you also mentioned you're asked for an answer to one of your security questions when you sign in. For various reasons, that's a lot trickier than saving and filling usernames and passwords, especially if it's not the same question each time. But you don't need to store that information in a Secure Note - instead, save your security questions & answers in the same Login item as the username and password for that site. And instead of using the 'notes' field, you can put that information in custom fields.

For example, if you open 1Password and edit your Login item for the bank site, you can add custom fields in a section below the website address (where it says "Section"). The way I like to do it is to put a security question in one field (and call that field something like "Question #1"), and then put the answer to that question in the next field (and call it "Answer #1"). Do that for each question and answer. Then, when you need to answer a security question on the site, you can view the item details for that Login item in the 1Password extension or 1Password mini, click on an 'answer' field to copy it, then paste it into the website.

You also said you're having trouble filling your username and password on some sites. As long as you've saved Login items for those sites in 1Password (by following the steps in my link above), you should be able to use those Login items to fill the sign-in forms on those sites by following the steps here: Sign in to sites with 1Password

If that's not working, can you please describe the exact steps you take to open a website and to have 1Password fill your username and password? Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.