Add bigger files as an attachment

VaultGuy
VaultGuy
Community Member

Hey,

I partly use 1Password as place to store private files / photos / videos on iOS as most other "Vault" apps are either sketchy, have ads are are just plain ugly. I tried to add a small video to iPassword on Mac and saw that it said that it's only possible to add files smaller than 5.2MB. On iOS video files don't even show up in the selector.

What's the reason for this restriction on iOS? As I'm using iCloud for sync it would just count towards my regular space allowance anyway.

Thanks,

VaultGuy

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2017

Hi @VaultGuy,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

Our standalone vault formats (Agile Keychain & OPVault) simply aren't designed to handle more than simple document storage. The original intention for the feature was (and largely remains) to store things like scans of your passport, to attach to your passport item in 1Password. It was never designed to be an encrypted file storage solution for files unrelated to other items in 1Password.

We have improved upon this somewhat with the design of 1Password.com accounts. There, Documents live independently of other 1Password items, unlike attachments in standalone vaults. But I still wouldn't necessarily recommend it for storing large photo or video collections. That just isn't really a market that we're currently in.

Sorry for any misunderstanding!

Ben

• VaultGuy
    VaultGuy
    Community Member

Hey,

thanks for the detailed reply. I'm not trying to abuse it as a video store and I know I'm using it in a way that's not the intended way. I was just curious what's the reason for that limitation as even if it's 50MB instead of 5MB that would cover a lot more use cases like bigger PDFs.

Thanks!

• Part of the reason is to make sure it is still reasonable to sync your 1Password data over a cellular connection. Most people have fairly low limits on monthly data usage allowed over their cellular connection, but need access to their latest 1Password data while out and about. As such having a vault that is hundreds or thousands of MBs in size just isn't practical.

And also the data format just wasn't designed with that use case in mind. It may not handle such large files efficiently, if at all. So the protection is there to prevent an issue in that regard as well.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Ben

• VaultGuy
    VaultGuy
    Community Member

Makes total sense, thanks for the reply! :)

• You're most welcome. :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.